The Brooklyn-born Dr. Leberman received his bachelor's degree from NYU in 1925, and came to Penn for both his master's degree in physiology in 1927, and his M.D in 1931. After several years as a lecturer Dr. Leberman joined the tenure track and was made associate professor in 1956, professor in 1967, and professor emeritus in 1972. During his distinguished career he chaired the department of urology from 1958 to 1972, and served as chief of outpatient urology (1947-1972), and chief of the urology ward at HUP (1947-1956).
The Paul Rodin Leberman Award for Teaching Excellence was established, and in 1989 he and his wife donated to Penn the Paul and Estelle Leberman Library of Urology.
Elected to the Royal Society of Medicine and the Societé Internationale d'Urologie abroad, he was also a member of the Philadelphia College of Physicians, the American College of Surgeons, the American Board of Urology, and Sigma Xi. In addition, he was as an Affiliate Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, and was one of the original members of the Society for Pediatric Urology. Among his many distinctions was presenting the first paper at the first meeting of the mid-Atlantic section of the American Urological Association, in 1941.
Dr. Leberman also served as a consultant for the Philadelphia Naval Hospital and for the Veterans Administration Medical Center, after attaining the rank of captain in the Navy during World War II.
He is survived by his wife, Estelle Rosenthal Leberman; two sisters, Freda Sirkin and Selma Moss; and several nieces and nephews.
Tuesday, December 5, 1995
Volume 42 Number 14