Remembering a Provost's 'Little Black Books': April 18

The University's Charles Custis Harrison Society will be celebrating its first birthday later this month. To mark the occasion, members of the Society--alumni, friends, staff, and faculty who have made deferred gifts to Penn--will gather on April 18 for a luncheon at the Faculty Club. Dr. P. Roy Vagelos, chair of Penn's Board of Trustees, and Scott Lederman, Treasurer of the University, will address the group.

According to Tom Hofstetter, associate director of the Office of Planned Giving, the Harrison Society gives recognition to those members of the Penn community who have included the University in their estate plans--through bequests, life income gifts, or life insurance. "People are pleased to find that such a society exists," says Mr. Hofstetter, "and Penn is delighted to be able to recognize their generosity during their lifetime."

The Harrison Society is named for Charles Custis Harrison, C '62, who was Provost of the University from 1895 to 1910, a period during which much of Penn's current campus took shape. He is reported to have secured more than $12 million for Penn, recording pledges and payments of famous Philadelphians in the "little black books" for which he was noted. (Current members of the Harrison Society also receive little black books--a reminder of Penn's ongoing needs.)

John Foster, director of the Office of Planned Giving, is enthusiastic about the response the new group is receiving. "All schools at the University are represented. And this past year we took the Harrison Society on the road--to Florida--with luncheons in both Boca Raton and Tampa. People are grateful that Penn is acknowledging their commitment in this way."

With a successful inaugural year behind them, the Harrison Society is looking forward to its second year of activities. Those who have already included the University in their estate plans and would like to attend the luncheon on April 18 should contact the Office of Planned Giving at 898-6171.

-- Joan Carey, Office of Development Communications


April 9, 1996
Volume 42 Number 27

Return to index for this issue.

Return to Almanac homepage.