Penn Relays and Beyond: Crowds in View
Last week in addition to alerting the campus and the neighborhood to upcoming congestion for Spring Fling, the University Police looked ahead to other spring dates when Penn expects crowds of people, cars or both on the streets and byways. Listed in their e-mail advisory:
- Penn Relays through Saturday, 4/27/96. Franklin Field, 235 South 33rd Street.
- Hey Day Picnic and Parade Thursday, 4/26 12 p.m.-3 p.m. Hill Field, 34th and Walnut Streets. Note: Small parade along Spruce Street from 37th to 39th at approximately 3 p.m.
- Alumni Weekend Friday, 5/17 and Saturday, 5/18. Includes:Alumni Run (A 5K race that winds around and through campus) Saturday, May 18. Starts at 9 a.m. in Superblock, 39th and Locust Walk; and Alumni Picnic Saturday, May 18, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. Superblock, 39th and Locust Walk
- Baccalaureate Service Sunday, May 20, 3 p.m. Irvine Auditorium, 3401 Spruce Street
- Commencement Tuesday, May 21, 10:15 a.m. Franklin Field, 235 South 33rd Street
"You can anticipate increased pedestrian and vehicular traffic in the University City area during these events, and increased noise in the University City area during some of them," said Lt. Susan Holmes. "Both the University of Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia Police Departments are committed to actively assisting the expeditious movement of anticipated heavy vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Moreover, both Penn and Philadelphia Police will establish a visible presence in these areas to contribute to a positive quality of life and to assure the safety of our community members and anticipated visitors."
Volume 42 Number 29
April 23, 1996
Return to Almanac's home page.
Return to index for this issue.