The 1995-96 Faculty/Staff Telephone Directory will be delivered on campus this week in its traditional paper format.
Then, in mid-November, the Telephone Directory information is scheduled to be available on-line. At that time, the information will be available for query only via the WHOIS database--WHOIS is an on-line e- mail addressing system--and only campus information and e-mail addresses will be displayed.
This year's four-color cover, designed by Cathy Orr-Gontarek of Publications Services, features an oil painting of Penn's Boathouse done by John D. Gummere, who used to row for Columbia and now attends the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. (The black-and-white reproduction above shows both covers and the spine.)
The directory is published by the offices of Business Services and Telecommunications for Penn and HUP employees. It contains emergency phone numbers and other important campus numbers on the inside of the front cover, and has the three-year Academic Calendar for 1995-96 through 1997-98 on the inside back cover.
Found inside are three sections, color-coded in green, white and yellow pages.
The green pages contain a Business Services Guide as well as listings of more than 100 services and facilities on campus and information about PennNet access and use.
The white pages begin with a guide to help newcomers decipher the subsequent listings and a lengthy list of abbreviations used in this section. Faculty and staff are listed alphabetically, with their campus address and phone, home address and e-mail.
The yellow pages contain the organizational listings beginning with the trustees, University and Benjamin Franklin Scholars, emeritus officers and emeritus professors. The bulk of the section is the departmental listings, followed by fraternities and sororities, and clubs, organizations, and societies. Last but not least useful are maps of the area and campus.
Note to Campus Offices
To report any significant errors, omissions or changes, or to order more copies of the Penn telephone directory, please call Nichelle Davis or Banoo Karanjia at 898-9155.
As recounted in the Philomathean Society's then-monthly University Magazine for May 1876, the Boathouse came into being because of student initiative and hard work. The University Boat Club had been organized in 1872 as the "College Boat Club of the University of Pennsylvania," but three years later it still had no house of its own. In a day when tuition was $150 a year--$50 each for three terms--the Class of 1975 raised the whole $6,000 needed for its construction. The result, said the Magazine: "The house is all that could be desired by the most exacting, containing all the conveniences and appliances necessary for a complete boathouse, and for the comfort of the members. It has the largest boat room on the river, and surpasses in its conveniences many of the houses, while in beauty of finish and symmetry of form it is unsurpassed."
The original serpentine Boathouse with its single boat bay was greatly enlarged in 1921 to accommodate 16 eight-oared shells, a practice barge and two launches, as well as lockers for the candidates for the crews. Today, the Boathouse has three boat bays, a workshop, and indoor weight and ergometer training facilities.
As one of the "largest and busiest of the 12 boathouses" along the banks of the river, the Penn Boathouse houses the full Penn squad--oarsmen and oarswomen, heavyweight and lightweight. The Women's Crew was organized in 1967 and became a varsity sport in 1974. "An average day in the spring sees more than 150 Pennsylvania oarsmen and -women passing through its doorways," according to the annually published Women's Crew Guide.
-- M.F.M. with assistance from Hamilton Elliot of the University Archives