Academic Support Programs
The Department of Academic Support Programs is a "center" for academic support, with support services and centralized assessment and referral
services now housed on the first floor of Harnwell House. Below is a brief description of services offered and referral procedures:
Tutoring and Learning Resources, 3820 Locust Walk, Suite 109, 573-9235 or 898-8596:
- Tutoring in most undergraduate lower division courses.
- Individual instruction in all aspects of academic learning, including reading, studying, exam preparation and time-management.
Student Orientation Programs, 3820 Locust Walk, Suite 103, 898-4276:
- Orientation programs to introduce undergraduate and graduate/professional students to the academic and social aspects of campus life, as well as
important resources at the University.
Pre-Freshman Program/PENNCAP, 3820 Locust Walk, Suite 102, 898-6440:
- Program for introducing selected incoming undergraduate students into the intellectual and social life at the University through a four-week
academically rigorous summer program.
- Comprehensive educational/advising services to students identified by faculty and/or academic advisors as needing academic support supplemental to that provided by their schools.
Mentor Programs, 3820 Locust Walk, Suite 102, 898-9516:
- Informal support network for first-year undergraduate African American, Asian American, Latino/Chicano, and Native American students who are matched with peer mentors and/or faculty/staff mentors with similar academic interests.
Upward Bound Program and Veterans Upward Bound Program, 3933 Walnut Street, 898-3185:
- College preparatory programs for qualified local high school students and veterans.
To refer students for content tutoring or study strategy instruction, call 57 EXCEL (573-9235). Students can be seen on a walk-in basis for study strategy instruction Monday-Friday, 12-3 p.m.
On-site Tutoring will begin September 16, 1996.
Individual Tutor Assignments will be made beginning September 30, 1996.
Two workshop series are scheduled:
- Mastering the Ivy League will be held September 3, 11, 17, and 25, and October 1, 7-8 p.m., in the Smith Penniman Room, Houston Hall.
- Academics Plus (A+), an international series, will be held September 5, 12, 19, and 26, 5-6:30 p.m., in Room 27, Bennett Hall.
Complete schedules for workshops and On-site Tutoring are available in Suite 109 Harnwell House. For general information, please call 898-0809.
-- Terri White, Director, Department of Academic Support Programs
Harnwell House (High Rise East), Suite 209 3820 Locust Walk/6134
phone 898-0809; fax 898-9301; URLhttp://dolphin.upenn.edu/~dasp/
Volume 43 Number 2
September 3, 1996
Return to Almanac's homepage.
Return to index for this issue.