Crime Alert: Assault in Van Pelt Library
On Tuesday, September 10, at approximately 7:30 p.m., a female student was assaulted inside the Van Pelt Library on the third floor. The woman
reports that while seated inside a study carrel, a man approached her from the rear, and placed one hand around her waist and his other hand over her
eyes. A brief struggle ensued and the woman freed herself. She began to scream and he fled.
He is described as an African-American, 25 to 35 years old; 6'0"-6'3" tall; medium build; medium complexion; clean shaven; short black hair; last
seen wearing dark blue dress pants and a light blue long-sleeved dress shirt with a white band collar.In particular, the male pronounced words very
distinctly, clearly and carefully as if English is not his primary language.
If you have any information concerning this incident, please contact one of the following:
- Penn Police: 898-7297
- Penn Investigators: 898-4485
- Special Services: 898-4481 / 6600
- Always try to be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.
- Use the "Buddy" system. Avoid working or studying alone in remote sections of any building.
- Report anyone who behaves suspiciously to the Penn Police Department. Try to remember details about the person's appearance and where the
person was last seen. Relay all information about the person to the dispatcher.
- Know the locations of the red emergency campus telephones inside University library facilities.
--Lt. Susan M. Holmes
Volume 43 Number 4
September 17, 1996
Return to Almanac's homepage.
Return to index for this issue.