COUNCIL Year End Reports, 1995-96
Report on the agenda for discussion October 9
The committee met three times during this period and addressed the following items:
- The report of the Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Postdoctoral Fellow Policy, submitted by a subcommittee chaired by Professor John J. Cebra of biology with Dr. Neal Nathanson serving as vice chair. The committee members became acquainted with the different positions that postdoctoral fellows enjoyed in different schools/cultures. The committee then unanimously and enthusiastically approved the document as setting the minimum standards for postdoctoral fellows at the University of Pennsylvania. The proposed policy subsequently has been cleared by various University committees and the last step is the approval of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.
- Vice Provost for Research Ralph Amado brought the following new issues to the committee.
- a) Advice from the Research Committee to the administration on what should be the proportion of University resources put aside for matching funds.The Research Committee requested some data from peer universities and the discussion will continue after the data is received.
- b) The optimal University policy on authorship and on ownership of data.The members of the Research Committee have not yet decided what to recommend as the vehicle to develop a draft University policy that addresses these complex and important problems.
- The chair of the Research Committee proposed to discuss the evaluation and renumeration of the faculty for responsibilities: teaching large undergraduate classes, leading large research groups/laboratories, and carrying substantial administrative repsonsibilities. There exists a point system at Berkeley and other state universities. The point system attempts to ensure an equitable distribution of work with equitable compensation. The committee concluded that this problem is not acute at Penn and consequently the idea has been tabled.
-- Ruzena Bajcsy, Chair
- 1995-96 Research Committee Membership
Faculty: Ruzena Bajcsy, Computing and Information Science; Dorothy Brooten, Nursing; John Cebra, Biology; Peter K. Davies, Materials Science and
Engineering; Martha Farah, Psychology; Nabil Farhat, Electrical Engineering; Daniel Malamud, Biochemistry/Dental; Richard R. Miselis, Animal
Biology; Mark Rosenzweig, Economics; Steven Sondheimer, Obstetrics/Gynecology; Arjun G. Yodh, Physics.
Students: Larry Kamin, C '96; Alfred Wang, C '97; Maureen O'Leary, GSAS.
Ex officio: Ralph Amado, Vice Provost for Research; Anthony Merritt, Director, Research Administration.
Volume 43 Number 7
October 8, 1996
Return to Almanac's homepage.
Return to index for this issue.