After returning to Penn and completing his surgical residency in 1964, he was appointed to the faculty, becoming a full professor only five years later. During his 33 years as a faculty member he assumed many important roles. He was Director of the Shock and Trauma Unit from 1967 to 1972 and Director of the Harrison Department of Surgical Research from 1972 to 1983. He was the J. William White Professor of Surgical Research from 1970 to 1978. After several years as Acting Chairman of the Department of Surgery, he became John Rhea Barton Professor and Chairman of the Department of Surgery in 1978, serving in this role until 1983.
Dr. Miller was elected to many distinguished medical and scientific societies, including the American Physiological Society, the Society of University Surgeons, the American Surgical Association and the Halsted Society. He was perhaps best known for his commitment to education. He was Chairman of the Education Committee of the Society of University Surgeons. A winner of the Lindback Award, he also won an honorary fellowship in Alpha Omega Alpha; the medical student government teaching award for the best clinical teacher; and other awards given by medical students and residents. Dr. Miller published over a 100 research papers. His research contributions were highly significant in several different areas. He did clinical studies on cancer of the large bowel, portal hyper-tension and the use of portocaval shunts. His basic research activities included studies on the role of the circulation of the kidney and of oxygen transport in shock. Dr. Miller was also active as an editor, serving on the editorial board of the Annals of Surgery for many years, and, in 1993, editing a well-known book on the essentials of basic science in surgery.
Dr. Miller was especially admired for the respect and consideration he showed to students, faculty and staff alike, and for the care and attention that he extended to his patients. He will be affectionately remembered for his enthusiasm for baseball, which he was always eager to share with those around him. His contributions to the School of Medicine and HUP were varied. He served as Chairman of the Medical Board of HUP and of the Steering Committee of the Medical Faculty Senate and as Chairman of the Admission Committee of the School.
He is deeply loved and will always be missed by his two sons, Steven Lawrence, who is working towards a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature at University of California at Irvine, and Jason Lloyd, who is attending Law School at Penn. In lieu of flowers, contributions would be appreciated to the Leonard D. Miller Student Fund, Trustees, University of Penn School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, 3400 Spruce Street, 4 Silverstein Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19104. A Memorial Service will be held Tuesday, September 16 at 4 p.m. in Medical Alumni Hall, Maloney Building.
--From a Memoir of Dr. Clyde Barker, Chairman of Surgery
Portrait: Dr. Miller, by Robert Martin
A 1923 graduate of Harvard, Dr. Moore took his M.D. at Temple in 1927, where he also interned. Serving also on the staffs of Einstein, Hahnemann and other local hospitals throughout his career, Dr. Moore joined Penn's Medical School as an instructor in neuropathology in 1936 and retired as a full professor in 1970. Of the nearly eighty papers he published, many discussed encephalographic studies of mental diseases and the study and treatment of epilepsy and abdominal epilepsy, known as Moore's Syndrome.
He is survived by his wife, Stella Moore.
Volume 44 Number 1
July 15, 1997
Return to Almanac's homepage.
Return to index for this issue.