A memorial service for Dr. Jay Seibert, professor emeritus of periodontics, will be held on Tuesday, March 17, 1998 at 5 p.m. in Room B-60 Evans Building at the School of Dental Medicine.
Dr. Seibert, who passed away on December 20, 1997, had been director of the Postdoctoral Periodontics Program at the School of Dental Medicine. During his 24 years of dedicated service to the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Seibert touched the lives of many faculty, staff, students, and patients, said Dr. Anthony Vito, a colleague who is arranging the service.
A memorial fund is being established in memory of Dr. Seibert. Donations may be made to the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Department of Periodontics, attention of: Dr. Jay S. Seibert Memorial Fund, 4001 Spruce Street/6003.
The following resolution was passed by the University Board of Trustees at the Stated Meeting February 20, followed by a moment of silence.
August 18, 1909 - January 23, 1998
Julian S. Bers (W'31) served the University of Pennsylvania and the Philadelphia community for most of his eighty-eight years, improving the well-being and enhancing the lives of countless people along the way.
Soon after earning his bachelor's degree from the Wharton School, Mr. Bers took over a scrap-metal business founded by his father in 1890. Demonstrating exceptional vision and business acumen, he converted the business into a lead-smelting and rubber distributorships venture and prospered. Selling the thriving business in 1969, he made his first attempt at retiring, but in less than a year he was back at work as head of Imperial Metal and Chemical Co., where he remained for another 21 years.
Bringing the same kind of energy and dedication that characterized his professional life to his roles as philanthropist and civic leader, Mr. Bers provided leadership for numerous community, social, and cultural organizations. Throughout the years he generously volunteered his time and energy, accepting trustee positions, chairing fund-raising committees for hospitals and universities, and giving free investment advice to nonprofit organizations. In 1991, he and his wife, Janice Smith Bers (ED'39) were cited for 50 years of service to the United Way.
Nowhere was Mr. Bers' commitment more marked than here at his alma mater, where he was Emeritus Trustee of the University, of the Trustee Board of the Health System, and of the Medical Center Trustee Board. As a Term and Alumni Trustee he was Vice Chairman of the Health Affairs Committee and a member of the Alumni Affairs, University Development, and Budget and Finance Committees, and of the Investment Board. He served Penn devotedly as general chairman of Annual Giving, chairman of the Benjamin Franklin Associates, vice-president of his class, and gift chairman for his 45th Reunion. In 1968, his many outstanding contributions to Penn were recognized when he was awarded the Alumni Award of Merit.
Mr. Bers further strengthened Penn by establishing the Janice and Julian Bers Assistant Professorship in Social Sciences, the Janice and Julian Bers Assistant Professorship in History and Sociology of Science, and the William A. Levi Travel Fellowship. The Medical Center's Department of Neurology has also benefited greatly from his generous support.