Five Teaching Awards in Dental Medicine
Five faculty of the School of Dental Medicine were recently recognized by the Class of 1998 for their contributions to education. The awards and their recipients:
Dr. Henry Chen, clinical assistant professor of general restorative dentistry since 1997, was the recipient of the Earle Bank Hoyt award, presented each year to a graduate of the school who is a full-time junior clinical faculty member and who has exemplified the teaching spirit for which Dr. Hoyt was well-known. Dr. Hoyt, a member of the Class of 1918 at Penn Dental, was a distinguished clinician and educator. The Award was established by a grateful patient in honor of Dr. Hoyt's dedication and excellence in teaching.
The Joseph L.T. Appleton Award for a part-time faculty member was presented to Dr. David Weinstock, clinical assistant professor of general restorative dentistry since 1990. Named for Dr. Joseph Appleton, a 1914 Penn Dental alumnus who was Dean of the School from 1941 to 1951, the award is the students' way of saying "thank you" to the individual who most exemplifies the spirit and quality of teaching that Dr. Appleton represented in his 66 years' close relationship with the School-as a student, faculty member in bacterio-pathology, dean and as a full professor after the deanship. The award is given to a person whose excellence in clinical teaching has developed students' skills and enriched their lives.
Dr. Nathan Kobrin, clinical assistant professor of general restorative dentistry since 1993, who received the Robert E. DeRevere Award for pre-clinical teaching by a part-time faculty member in 1997, was honored with that award again this year. The award is named for Dr. DeRevere, a 1945 Dental alumnus, who as a faculty member at the School had charge of dental services at Children's Heart Hospital of Philadelphia and Philadelphia General Hospital, in addition to his usual teaching duties. The award, given annually since 1982, has come to be a coveted recognition of excellence.
Dr. Jeffery Stewart , assistant professor of pathology since 1991, was honored for the second time since 1995 with the Basic Science Award. The award recognizes faculty in the basic sciences, seen as an integral part of dental education, where "a sound understanding of the fundamentals is essential to the success of clinical teachings."
Dr. Bal Goyal , associate professor of restorative
dentistry and director of removable prosthodontics and undergrauate pre-clinic
lab since 1991, was the first recipient of the School's new Excellence in
Teaching Award. Three of the past four graduating classes have given special
recognition to Dr. Goyal for his contributions, including induction as an
honorary member of OKU, the dental honor society, in 1996. Dr. Goyal has
taught at the Dental School since 1975.
Almanac, Vol. 44, No. 34, May 19/26, 1998