In response to questions received by the Benefits Department on payroll
deductions, Human Resources provides here an explanation of the benefit
codes which may appear on the pay stubs of faculty and staff. The categories
are grouped as Shelters, Pretax Reductions and After-Tax Deductions (listed
after taxes). The categories begin on the left-hand side of the pay stub,
and extend to the right-hand side as necessary. Within each category, the
individual items are listed below in the approximate order that they would
appear on the stub:
(1) HLTH SHL Your contribution to your Health or Medical Plan. "SHL" indicates that this amount is sheltered from Social Security, federal, and state income tax.
(2) DEN SHL Your contribution to your Dental coverage. It has the same shelter as the Medical plan contributions.
(3) DEP SHL Your contribution to your Dependent Care Spending Account. Although sheltered from Social Security and federal taxes, this is subject to state income taxes.
(4) MED REIMB ACCT Your contribution to your Healthcare Spending Account.
(5) SHEL TOTAL Total of your Medical, Dental, Dependent Care and Healthcare Spending Account contributions.
(6) RED Basic Vanguard (VAN) or TIAA-CREF (TIAA) Tax-Deferred Annuity contribution.
(7) TIAA SR% or SR$ Additional Basic TIAA-CREF Tax-Deferred Annuity contribution. SR% will appear if you have elected to defer an additional percentage of salary, and SR$ will appear if you have elected an additional dollar amount.
(8) SR% or SR$ Vanguard (VAN) Supplemental Tax-Deferred Annuity contribution--percentage of salary (SR%) or dollar amount (SR$).
(9) SRA% or SRA$ TIAA-CREF Supplemental Tax-Deferred Annuity contribution--percentage of salary (SRA%) or dollar amount (SRA$).
(10) RED TOTAL Total of your Basic and Supplemental Contributions to Vanguard and TIAA-CREF. (Note that at the beginning of this year, you may have contributed to the Equivest and Calvert accounts as well. Also, if the total of these contributions by the end of December 1998 or before then is $10,000, this means that you are maximizing for the year).
(11) GROUP LF Your after-tax contribution to your Group Life Insurance coverage.
(12) DED Your after-tax contribution to the Vanguard (VAN) or TIAA/CREF (TIAA) Basic Tax-Deferred Annuity account.
(13) SD% or SD$ Your after-tax contribution to the Vanguard (VAN) or TIAA/CREF (TIAA) Supplemental Tax-Deferred Annuity account--percentage of salary (SD%) or dollar amount (SD$).
(14) DEP LIFE DED Your after-tax contribution to your Dependent Life Insurance coverage.
(15) LONG TERM CARE Your after-tax contribution to your Long-Term Care coverage.
(16) CR UNION Your after-tax contribution/payment to the University of Pennsylvania Federal Credit Union.
(17) DED TOTAL Total of your contributions to Group Life, after-tax
contributions to Basic and Supplemental Tax-Deferred Annuity Plans, and
Long-Term Care, and the Credit Union.
Almanac, Vol. 45, No. 7, October 13, 1998