Dr. de la Haba
Dr. Gabriel de la Haba, associate professor emeritus of cell and developmental biology, and a chemical embryologist, died of cancer on January 14, at the age of 73 in Wayne.
Dr. de la Haba was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico on May 29, 1926 to a prominent Puerto Rican family. His elementary schooling was in Puerto Rico at Collegio San Jose. He attended High School in Montreal, Canada. He earned his bachelors and doctorate degrees at Johns Hopkins University and did postdoctoral work at Yale University, Johns Hopkins University and at the National Institutes of Health.
He was recruited to the School of Medicine here in 1959, and retired in 1995. His research focused on identifying the factors that permitted a group of stem cells to fuse and form the long multinucleated skeletal muscle cells known as myotubes. His final paper on muscle formation was published last August. His early and seminal work in the late 1950s on the identification of puromycin as an inhibitor of protein synthesis played an important role in our understanding of protein synthesis. This compound has been used by biologists in determining if protein synthesis is involved in the process they are studying in living cells. For example, this compound was used to demonstrate that protein synthesis is not necessary for the formation of memory in vertebrate brains.
Dr. de la Haba was a dedicated teacher of histology to first year medical students for 35 years. He is survived by his mother, Teresa, who just turned 100, a sister, Teresa, both of Puerto Rico, and a brother, Louis, of Washington, DC; and two step-daughters, Jinny Rogers and Nancy Conkle.
Dr. Joseph L. Hollander, professor emeritus of rheumatology, died of cancer January 7 at the age of 89. Dr. Hollander was a leading rheumatologist and was nominated twice for the Nobel Prize for his work in rheumatology.
He graduated from Cornell University in 1932, and from the Penn School of Medicine in 1935. During World War II Dr. Hollander trained as a rheumatologist at the Army Arthritis Centers and attained the rank of major. He was appointed professor of medicine in 1962 and held that position for 25 years.
The University of Pennsylvania and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia donated $1.5 million to endow a chair last year in Dr. Hollander's name in recognition of his work for research in pediatric arthritis.
Dr. Hollander was president of the American Rheumatism Association in 1961 and 1962. In 1972 he was named a master by the American College of Physicians, and received four Distinguished Service Awards from the Arthritis Foundation as well as the Jacob Ehrenzeller Award for achievement and service in medicine. In his name, the Arthritis Foundation established an award for excellence and achievement in the field of rheumatology.
Dr. Hollander is survived by is wife, Grace Hill Brewer Hollander; two daughters, Elizabeth Jean McCallum and Susan Lee Warholak; five grandchildren, four great-grandchildren; a brother and a sister. Contributions may be made to the Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation, Architects Building 117 S. 17th St., Suite 1905-15, Philadelphia PA 19103.
Dr. Eric Peter Tulleners, the Lawrence Baker Sheppard Professor of Surgery in the School of Veterinary Medicine, died of cancer on January 16 at the age of 47. He was an expert in upper respiratory tract disfunction in horses and pioneered the use of laser surgery to treat them. He also studied lap-roscopic surgery for horses and general surgery for cows.
Dr. Tulleners received his B.S. with honors in Animal Science from California Polytechnic State University at San Louis Obispo in 1974, and his veterinary degree with honors from University of California at Davis in 1978. He served as an intern at Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Canada, and as a resident at Penn's New Bolton Center.
He became a lecturer in the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1981, and was promoted to assistant professor of surgery in 1982, as well as becoming the Head of Food Animal Surgical Services. In 1986, Dr. Tulleners became the Head of the newly-founded Laser Surgical Services and in 1991 he was named Chief of the Section of Surgery. He was named the Lawrence Baker Sheppard Associate Professor of Surgery in 1993, and attained the rank of Professor in 1998. He was a Fellow of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, and last year was elected to a three-year term on the Board of Regents of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons.
Dr. Tulleners is survived by his wife, Susan Y. Ashburn Tulleners; their two children, Pamela Diane and Steven Eric Tulleners; his mother, Hortense Van Dissel Tulleners; two brothers, Frank Leonard Tulleners and Robin Mark Tulleners; and three sisters, Joyce Patricia Simpson, Michelle Laureen Tulleners and Paulette Arnay Howell.
Donations may be made either to the Pamela and Steven Tulleners Trust Fund, c/o Commonwealth Bank, New Garden Shopping Center, Kennett Square, PA 19348; to the Dr. Eric Peter Tulleners Scholarship Fund, c/o Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania, New Bolton Center, 382 West Street Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348-1692, or to the Willowdale Chapel, 675 Unionville Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348.
Almanac, Vol. 46, No. 18, January 25, 2000