Click for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Forecast


Sir Peter Shepheard | Joseph Russell Elkinton | Robert Lincoln Trescher | Willis Jay Winn

Sir Peter Shepheard, A Visionary Landscape Architect and Planner

Sir Peter Shepheard, the former dean of the Graduate School of Fine Arts and emeritus professor of landscape architecture who transformed Penn's campus, died in England on April 11, at the age of 88.

Mr. Shepheard, an architect, landscape architect, and planner, was born in Birkenhead, England, and graduated from the Liverpool School of Architecture in 1936. His early career was in central and local government in England and he worked on projects such as New Towns and the Greater London Development Plan. He was a founding partner in the firm of Bridgwater and Shepheard (later Shepheard, Epstein and Hunter).

Mr. Shepheard came to Penn in 1957 as a visiting professor, becoming professor with tenure in 1971. He served as dean of GSFA from 1971 until 1979. During his tenure as dean, Mr. Shepheard was responisble for the development of the Landscape Architecture Master Plan or "the LAMP" as it became known. The LAMP, when implemented transformed the area from the Schuylkill River to 40th St. and Woodland Walk from 33rd and Chestnut streets to Woodland Cemetery into a pedestrian campus.

While dean, Mr. Shepheard also established an interdisciplinary undergraduate major in the Design of the Environment. This major, an interdisciplinary degree, synthesized the departments of architectue, city planning, fine arts, and landscape architecture, which was considered ahead of its time.

He continued teaching at Penn until 1994 when he became professor emeritus but returned to participate through last fall in a series of public lectures in landscape architecture which he had developed while dean.

Some of Mr. Shepheard's most well known projects include the London Zoo, Bessborough gardens, and the gardens of the U.S. Ambassador at Winifred House. He also published books on garden design, Modern Gardens (1953) and Gardens (1969).

Mr. Shepheard became a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1972 and was knighted "for services to architecture" in 1980. He was president of the Landscape Institute from 1965-1966 and awarded the Landscape Institute Medal (UK)--the profession's highest accolade, in 1999.

Mr. Shepheard is survived by his daughter, Sarah; and a son, Paul.

Mr. Shepheard's essay--from the out-of-print Landscape Development Plan of February 1977--The Spaces in Between--which had appeared in Almanac October 7, 1980--is now available on line at

This drawing of Blanche Levy Park, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, was a gift of the architect, Sir Peter Shepheard and is part of the collection of his drawings now in Penn’s Architectural Archives. The pedestrian-oriented area was constructed in 1980.

Both photos are courtesy of The Architectural Archives, University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Elkinton, Emeritus Professor

Dr. Joseph Russell Elkinton, professor emeritus of renal electrolyte in the School of Medicine, died on April 6, at the age of 91.

Dr. Elkinton earned his bachelors degree from Haverford College and his M.D. from Harvard University Medical School in 1937. From 1948 until his retirement in 1971, Dr. Elkinton headed the chemical section, now the renal-electrolyte and hypertension division of the School of Medicine, where he developed a research program in blood chemistry and kidney disease. He also was the editor of the Annals of Internal Medicine from 1960 until 1971.

He is survived by a daughter, Gwyneth E. Loud; a son Joseph S.; a brother and five grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 2:30 p.m. on June 16 at Wellesley, MA, Friends Meeting.

Mr. Trescher, Emeritus Trustee

Robert Lincoln Trescher, Penn Emeritus Trustee and Chair Emeritus of the Board of Overseers of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, died on April 10 at the age of 89.

Mr. Trescher (W '34, L '37, H '82) was Chairman and Senior Partner of the law firm of Montgomery, McCracken, Walker & Rhoads and, until recently, served as counsel to that firm. A past Chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association, he was a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and the American College of Trial Lawyers. In addition, he was former Vice Chairman of the American Bar Association's Commission on Standards of Judicial Administration and former Chairman of the Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary.

Mr. Trescher was a past Vice Chair of Penn's Board of Trustees and member and Chair Emeritus of the Board of Overseers of the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Mr. Trescher was a former Chair of the Board of Overseers of the Law School, President of the Law Alumni Association, and served as Chair of the Development Fund of the Law School from 1955 to 1965.

He was presented with the Law School's Distinguished Service Award in 1979, received the University's Alumni Award of Merit in 1959, and was the first recipient of the Marian Angell Godfrey Boyer Medal for Distinguished Service to the University Museum. Mr. Trescher established the Robert L. Trescher Trustee Scholarship. He has supported several areas of the University, including the Law School, the Medical Center, and the University Museum.

He is survived by his wife, Glendora; two daughters, Victoria Agnich and Ellen Hass; and four grandchildren.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Law School of The University of Pennsylvania, 33rd and Spruce Sts., Philadelphia, PA 19104 or to the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 34th and Chestnut Sts., Philadelphia, PA 19104.

Dr. Winn, Former Dean of Wharton

Dr. Willis Jay Winn, former dean of the Wharton School, died on April 11 at the age of 84.

Mr. Winn, a native of Plattsburg, Mo, received his bachelors degree from Central College, of Fayette, Mo. He received his M.B.A. from Wharton in 1940, and became an instructor in finance in the same year. He completed his Ph.D. in philosophy at Penn in 1951. In 1957 he became a professor of finance and in 1958 was selected acting dean and then dean of the Wharton School.He received an honorary degree in economics in 1972.

He remained dean until 1971 when he was appointed president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and a member of the Federal Reserve Board's Open Market Committee. He remained president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland until he retired in 1982.

He is survived by his wife, Lois Gengelbach Winn; a daughter, Judith; a son, Steven; and a granddaughter. Memorial donations may be made to the Willis Winn College Scholarship Fund, U.S. Bank, Box E, Plattsburg, MO., 64477.

Sir Peter Shepheard | Joseph Russell Elkinton | Robert Lincoln Trescher | Willis Jay Winn

Almanac, Vol. 48, No. 31, April 23, 2002


April 23, 2002
Volume 48 Number 31

James Wilson, director of IHGT, is stepping down as institute broadens it focus.
The School of Dental Medicine and the School of Nursing each recognize four of their finest for excellence in teaching.
The guidelines for faculty and staff salary increases for 2002-2003 stress merit and performance as the basis for any increases.
An invitation to commencement is extended to the University community.
The deaths of two former deans (Wharton & GSFA), an emeritus professor and an emeritus trustee.
University Council committee reports on the agenda for Wednesday's meeting include: Personnel Benefits, Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics, and International Programs.
The Penn Reading Project has chosen the text for the incoming freshmen class; faculty members are encouraged to lead a small discussion group in September.
The A-3 Assembly seeks volunteers (weekly-paid employees) to serve on the Executive Board; 20 positions are available.
Penn faculty and staff are invited to the Children's Festival Opening Night Picnic and Performance, as well as a lunchtime party at the Museum to celebrate its new wing and courtyard garden.
The schools announce their graduation ceremonies and speakers.