Women of Color Awards
The Women of Color Awards are given in
recognition of individuals who have conscientiously endeavored to
increase respect for women of color at Penn, UPHS, Presbyterian,
Pennsylvania Hospitals and the Delaware Valley community. Annually,
awards are given in three categories: faculty/staff, graduate and/or
professional student, and undergraduate student.
Award Criteria: Nominees must be
affiliated with Penn, UPHS, Presbyterian or Pennsylvania Hospital
and have demonstrated:
- Outstanding leadership
- Distinguished service
- Positive impact on the community
- Commitment to enhancing quality of
life for and/or serving as a role model for women of color
Nominations are also sought for The Dr.
Helen Octavia Dickens Lifetime Achievement Award. This award is
named in honor of the late Dr. Helen Octavia Dickens, its first
recipient. Her contributions towards the enhancement of the Philadelphia
community spanned a period of over 50 years (Almanac
December 11, 2001).
Criteria for nominee:
- The nominee must currently
be an employee of Penn, UPHS, Presbyterian or Pennsylvania Hospital.
- Have no less than 25 years of service
with the above institutions or the community.
- Have worked to increase the presence
and permanence of women of color at the above institutions or
in her community.
- Candidate should stand out in her
- Have innovative approaches to service
in the same field.
- Show community service activities;
including but not limited to: having a significant impact on her
community and having a passion for sharing of self with others.
- Examples of the nominee's accomplishments
that span 25 years.
- As supporting data, a resume or CV
- All data other data should be in
written form and should not be more than 3 pages.
Nomination forms may be obtained online
and must be returned no later than January 23, 2004.
Arnold, Director, Office of Affirmative Action
Almanac, Vol. 50, No. 16,
December 16, 2003