Annual Women of Color Awards
The Women of Color awards are given in recognition of individuals who have conscientiously endeavored to increase respect for women of color at Penn, UPHS, Presbyterian, Pennsylvania Hospitals and the Delaware Valley community. Annually, awards are given in three categories: faculty/staff, graduate and/or professional student, and undergraduate student.
Award criteria: Nominees must be affiliated with Penn, UPHS, Presbyterian, or Pennsylvania hospitals and have demonstrated:
• Outstanding leadership
• Distinguished service
• Positive impact on the community
• Commitment to enhancing quality of life for and/or serving as a role model for women of color
Nominations are also sought for the Dr. Helen Octavia Dickens Lifetime Achievement Award. This award is named in honor of the late Dr. Helen Octavia Dickens, its first recipient. Her contribution towards the enhancement of the Philadelphia community spanned a period of over 50 years (Almanac December 11, 2001).
Criteria for nominee:
• The nominee must currently be an employee of Penn, UPHS, Presbyterian, or Pennsylvania hospitals.
• Have no less than 25 years of service with the above institutions or the community.
• Candidate should stand out in her field.
• Have innovative approaches to service in the same field.
• Show community service activities; including but not limited to: having significant impact on her community and having a passion for sharing of herself with others.
Nominations for the Helen Octavia Dickens Lifetime Achievement Award should be accompanied by examples of the nominee’s accomplishments that span 25 years in the form of supporting data, a resume or CV. All data should be in written form and should not be more than 3 pages.
Nomination forms may be obtained online at www.upenn.edu/ccp/index.shtml, and must be returned no later than January 23, 2005. For more information contact Valerie De Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (215) 898-3358.
—Valerie De Cruz, Director, Greenfield Intercultural Center
Almanac, Vol. 51, No. 14, December 7, 2004