BEN Financials to be Upgraded during Break
BEN Financials, the University’s suite of core financial applications, will be upgraded during the Winter Break and unavailable from 2 p.m. on December 23 through 8 a.m. on January 3.The upgrade will bring some immediate and frequently requested improvements in functionality, navigation, and ease of use to users. More importantly, it will facilitate ongoing functionality improvements while ensuring that Penn remains current with Oracle’s software releases. An overview document highlighting the changes is available on the Financial Training Department’s website at www.finance.upenn.edu/ftd/documentation.html. In addition to BEN Financials users, others may be affected by the upgrade, especially by the timing. This includes researchers whose grants are closing, anyone planning year-end purchases, and faculty and staff who want to access financial and grant information during Winter Break. To minimize the impact, we ask that you review the information below.
Important Planning Reminders
• All work on grants that require closing activities in December must be completed by December 23.
• For items needed during the Winter Break, make sure all orders are placed before 2 p.m. on December 23.
• BEN Reports, GRAM, and the Data Warehouse, containing general ledger detail as of December 23, will be available during the Winter Break.
• Desktops of BEN Financials users must be updated with the new version of JInitiator by January 3, 2005 in order to access BEN Financials after the Winter Break.
• The Financial Training Department (FTD) is offering demonstration sessions on the changes and new features in BEN Buys. The schedule is available at www.hr.upenn.edu/training_coursecatalog/search_criteria.asp. From this page, select either “Finance and Accounting” under Browse By Category or “Finance” under Browse By Department.
Support During the Winter Break
Purchasing Services staff members will be available to assist faculty and staff with purchasing requirements during the Winter Break. BEN Buys users are encouraged to order mission critical requirements in advance of the Winter Break to ensure an uninterrupted supply of necessary items.
If you require assistance, please call Purchasing Services’ main phone number at (215) 898-7216 and you will be directed to the appropriate staff member. Please visit the Purchasing Services website at www.purchasing.upenn.edu/news/041111_01.php for Winter Break coverage days and times.
—Ralph Maier, Interim Director, Purchasing Services
—Stephen Stines, IT Senior Director,
Financial Systems, Division of Finance
—Jeanne F. Curtis, IT Executive Director,
Administrative Information Technologies, ISC
Almanac, Vol. 51, No. 15, December 14, 2004
December 14, 2004
Volume 51 Number 15