2005 Performance and
Staff Development Program: June 3
Open and effective communication is essential when it comes to enhancing performance and achieving goals. The Performance and Staff Development Program (the annual performance appraisal program) provides staff and supervisors with a formal process to open the lines of communication and promote a healthy work environment. The performance appraisal process provides benefits for both the staff member and the supervisor, such as:
• Providing documented feedback on job expectations, performance, and accomplishments from the past year
• Offering positive reinforcement as well as developmental feedback
• Providing substantive support for annual salary increases
• Allowing staff members to participate in goal-setting
• Setting performance expectations and goals for the upcoming year
• Encouraging open communication between staff and supervisors
• Promoting discussion of professional development opportunities
This year, performance appraisals for all eligible regular staff should be completed by June 3, 2005. It’s especially important for supervisors to complete appraisals for all staff receiving annual salary increases to validate the level of increase awarded. The Performance and Staff Development Program materials for the 2005 appraisal cycle are available on the Human Resources website at www.hr.upenn.edu/staffrelations/performance/default.asp.
The Division of Human Resources is available to provide supervisors and staff with information, assistance, and training on the Performance and Staff Development Program. For more information or to find out about training, please contact Human Resources at (215) 898-6093.
—Division of Human Resources
Almanac, Vol. 51, No. 24, March 15, 2005