CCTV for Public Spaces
The Division of Public Safety is committed to enhancing the quality of life for the campus community by integrating the best practices of public and private policing with state-of-the-art technology. A critical component of a comprehensive security plan using state-of-the-art technology is CCTV.
As prescribed by the University Policy “Closed Circuit Television Monitoring and Recording of Public Areas for Safety and Security Purposes,” Almanac April 13,1999, the locations of all outside CCTV cameras monitored by Public Safety are to be published semi-annually in Almanac. The locations and description of these cameras can also be found at the Division of Public Safety website, www.publicsafety.upenn.edu.
The University has used several generations of American Dynamics UltraDome 360°, high speed pan/tilt/zoom cameras with motion detection capabilities. The current SpeedDome Ultra VII Enhanced Day/Night utilizes a 23x optical zoom combined with a 10x digital zoom, providing a 230x total zoom.
Questions in reference to the CCTV system or policy may be addressed to:
Maureen S. Rush,
Vice President for Public Safety Division of Public Safety
Director of Security & Technical Services
Phone: (215) 898-7515
Division of Public Safety
Fax: (215) 573-2651
Phone: (215) 898-6269
Fax: (215) 573-7042
The following existing cameras meet that criteria:
- 4040 Chestnut Street
- 4040 Sansom Street
- 41st & Chestnut (Lot #41)
- 40th and Locust Walk
- 40th and Spruce Sts.
- 39th and Spruce Sts.
- 39th and Walnut Sts.
- 38th and Walnut Sts.
- 38th and Spruce Sts.
- Fels Center for Government (Rear)
- 36th and Walnut Sts.
- 37th and Spruce Sts.
- 36th and Spruce Sts.
- 33rd and Smith Walk
- 34th and Walnut Sts.
- 100 Block of So. 37th Street
- Steve Murray Way & Sansom Sts.
- 37th and Walnut Sts.
- Towne Loading Dock
- Steve Murray Way & ChestnutSts.
- 40th and Walnut Sts.
- 33rd and Chestnut Sts.
- 36th & Sansom Sts. (Franklin Bldg.)
- Bennett Hall (Overseeing Levine Bldg.)
- 1920 Commons (Garage 14 Rooftop)
- 33rd and Walnut Sts.
- 36th and Locust Walk
- 38th and Hamilton Walk
- 31st and Chestnut Sts. (Left Bank)
- 31st and Walnut Sts. (Left Bank)
- 43rd and Locust Sts.
- Shatner Coffee Shop Area
- Bridge Cinema
- 4119 Walnut Sts.
- 32nd & South (Franklin Field)
- 40th & Market Sts.
- 3101 Walnut (Left Bank Loading Dock)
- 34th & Chestnut Sts. (Garage 37)
- 39th & Locust Walk
- 38th & Locust Walk
- 37th & Locust Walk
- 38th & Sansom Sts.
- Penn Tower Hotel
- 3700 Walnut (Huntsman Hall)
- 34th & Spruce Sts.
- 31st & Walnut Sts. (WXPN/ World Café)
- 31st & Walnut Sts. (WXPN/World Café SW Side Lower Level)
- Transitional Research Labs 31st Street
- Transitional Res. Labs 31st St. (Upper L)
- Transitional Res. Labs 30th St. (LL North)
- Transitional Res. Labs 30th St. (LL South)
- Museum Loading Dock
- Museum 33rd Street
- Museum Kress Ext. Entrance
- Museum Kress Gallery
- Museum Main Entrance
- Museum Lower Courtyard
- Stellar-Chance rear roof (Guardian Drive)
- Stellar-Chance front roof (Curie Blvd.)
- Stellar-Chance Exterior loading dock (Guardian Dr)
- Blockely Hall Rear roof–(Guardian Drive)
- Clinical Research Bldg. (Osler Circle Side)
- BRB II/III Exterior loading dock/driveway gate
- BRB II/III Osler Circle Courtyard
- BRB II/III Front roof camera (Courtyard/Osler Circle)
- BRB II/III Rear roof camera Curie Blvd.)
- Under Stemmler Hall–Clinical Research Bldg. Bridge
- Stemmler Hall Main Entrance & Hamilton Walk
Almanac, Vol. 51, No. 26, March 29, 2005
March 29, 2005
Volume 51 Number 26