University Research Foundation
Conference Support Guidelines
Click here to view the URF Newly Revised Guidelines.
Statement of Purpose and Guidelines
The conference support program is designed for scholarly meetings that will be convened on the Penn campus, thereby providing enrichment opportunities to interested faculty, students, and staff, most frequently in the format of a 1-2 day colloquium. The intent is to support meetings that are designed to enhance existing research and scholarly programs, particularly in disciplines where external funding is difficult to obtain. High priority will be given to inter- or cross-disciplinary conferences that include faculty from more than one School.
Funding will be limited to no more than $3,000 per event, and should be dedicated to reimbursing the speakers for travel and accommodations, but not for meals and entertainment. It is expected that funding from the University Research Foundation will supplement funding from other sources and will not be the sole source of funding for the meeting. Applications must be brief, usually no more than three (3) pages, and should include:
• Name and contact information for the applicant, who must be an appointed faculty member (tenure, research, or clinician-educator track)
• A description of the purpose of the meeting
• A proposed program agenda (appendix)
• A proposed list of presenters (appendix)
• The number of Penn students and faculty expected to attend
• An explanation of the benefit to Penn students and faculty
• An explanation of the benefit to scholarly or research programs at Penn
• Relationship of the meeting to department, institute or center programs
• The names of faculty who are organizing the meeting
• Identity and contact information for the business administrator responsible for administration of the funds
• A budget, itemizing the types of proposed expenditures (appendix)
• Evidence of matching funding from institutional or external sources
• Evidence of institutional support in the form of no cost facilities and AV support
Applications for the Conference Support Program are processed in the same cycles, and will be reviewed by the same committees that are used for URF research applications. Please identify which Review Committee is most appropriate to review your conference proposal (Biomedical Sciences, Humanities, Physical Sciences and Engineering and Social Science and Management).
An original and ten copies of the conference proposal should be submitted to the Office of the Vice Provost for Research, 118 College Hall/6303. In addition, a PDF or Word for Windows version must be sent via email to: email@example.com.
Questions should be directed to: Vice Provost for Research, firstname.lastname@example.org, 118 College Hall/6303, (215) 898-7236.
Almanac, Vol. 52, No. 7, October 11, 2005