|2007 Pilot Study: Alzheimer’s Disease Core Center (ADCC) with The Institute for Medicine and Engineering (IME)
January 30, 2007, Volume 53, No. 20
The University of Pennsylvania Alzheimer’s Disease Core Center (ADCC) will fund two one-year Pilot projects on biomedical, epidemiological or behavioral research on Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and related neurodegenerative disorders in basic science or clinical areas. In a continuing joint effort with the Institute for Medicine and Engineering (IME), a third Pilot grant also will be funded to support research on the etiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis or management of AD or related conditions that bridges medicine and engineering. The purpose of these Pilots is to assist Penn faculty, especially young investigators and those new to the field, to obtain preliminary data to serve as the basis of a grant application to the NIH or other public or private agencies. Each Pilot will be funded up to a level of $30,000 (subject to reductions from the National Institute on Aging) for personnel and supply costs, but not equipment or instruments.
A committee of ADCC/IME members will review all proposals. Funding depends on scientific merit, and the likelihood that the Pilots will lead to independent funding to continue the research. Principal Investigators must be full-time faculty of the University of Pennsylvania and collaboration with other departments is strongly encouraged. Priority will be given to proposals that bridge disciplines as well as to:
• Faculty in the early stages of their career who seek to enter the arena of research on AD and related neurodegenerative disorders
• Senior faculty who intend to shift their research emphasis towards research on AD and related neurodegenerative disorders
Applications should be formatted basically in the style of an NIH PHS 398 format. However, please substitute NIH face page with a title page. Applications should be 5 pages (exclusive of biosketches, literature cited, etc. as in PHS 398). Animal and/or IRB protocols may be pending. For more information contact Kevin Davies at (215) 662-4474. Suggested page distributions are:
1) Title Page (not the NIH face page) showing the title of grant, name of P.I., affiliation, address & phone numbers.
2) Budget (costs for personnel, supplies, but not equipment)
3) NIH Style Biosketch
4) Specific Aims
5) Background and Significance
6) Preliminary Studies
7) Experimental Design & Methods
8) Human Subjects (if applicable and protocol may be pending)
9) Vertebrate Animals Sections (if applicable and protocol may be pending)
10) Consultants (if applicable)
11) Consortium Contractual Arrangements (if applicable)
12) Literature Cited
13) Certification of Patient Oriented Research (if applicable)
It is obligatory that pilot awardees provide a financial and research progress report at the end of the pilot year.
Applications Due: April 2, 2007;
Anticipated Date of Award: July 1, 2007
Submit one hardcopy original and an electronic PDF file (via e-mail) to: Kevin Davies, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Center for Neurodegenerative Disease Research, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, 3rd Floor Maloney Bldg. HUP, 3600 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-4283; (215) 662-4474; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: If anyone encounters difficulties with the online submission, please contact Kevin Davies at the number listed above.