October 2, 2007, Volume 54, No. 6
The first University Council meeting of the academic year was held last Wednesday. President Amy Gutmann appointed—with the unanimous consent of Council—Dr. Paul Guyer, professor of philosophy, to serve as moderator, as he had done last year. President Gutmann then announced the appointment of Mark Lloyd, University archivist, to serve as the parliamentarian, for the 17th year.
To read the status reports of the President, Provost, PPSA, GAPSA and the UA, from the September 26 meeting, visit the Council website.
Dr. Larry Gladney, chair of Council Steering Committee, presented potential focus issues for Council to discuss during the 2007-2008 academic year. He said that Steering had considered many topics that had been raised last spring and came up with several from which the Council members were asked to select their top three choices.
The contenders included:
• Full analysis and discussion on mental health issues
• Safety and emergency preparedness for Penn and Philadelphia
• Penn Connects
• How international students and scholars and Penn Study Abroad affect Penn
• Penn’s response to communicable diseases
• Recruitment and retention of preeminent and diverse faculty and scholars
• Metrics used to measure the quality and effectiveness of programs and how they are communicated to the University community.