Loading
Print This Issue
Subscribe:
E-Almanac

Deaths
PDF
March 25, 2008, Volume 54, No. 26

Dr. Farley, Medicine
Mr. Haefele, Political Science
Dr. Mendelson, Wharton
Dr. Rose, Pediatrics

Dr. Farley, Medicine

Dr. Belmont G. Farley, former faculty member in the department of biochemistry and biophysics in the School of Medicine, passed away February 28. He was 87 years old.

Dr. Farley earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Maryland in 1941. Before completing his doctoral degree, he served on an MIT research team that developed an improved version of radar that detected planes flying at lower altitudes. After the war, Dr. Farley earned his PhD in physics in 1948 from Yale University. That same year, he joined the research team headed by William Shockley that developed the transistor at Bell Telephone Laboratories.
During his career, Dr. Farley contributed to the development of the first transistorized computer. He came to Penn in 1964 as a teacher and researcher on the electrophysiology of seizures and neural networks. After leaving Penn in 1969, Dr. Farley joined the faculty of Temple University’s department of computer and information science; he retired in 1986.

Dr. Farley is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Billhime Farley; sons, Malcolm and Martin; a sister; and a brother.


Mr. Haefele, Political Science

Edwin T. Haefele, professor emeritus of political science, died at his home in Alliance, Nebraska, on March 16, at the age of 82.

Mr. Haefele was appointed professor of political science in 1974. Dr. Jack Nagel, Steven F. Goldstone Endowed Term Professor of Political Science, described Mr. Haefele “as [a] social choice theorist, [who] used mathematics to analyze the abstract design of institutions, but also loved to trace their origins through unpredictable idiosyncracies of history.”

Before joining the department, Mr. Haefele was a senior scholar and research director at The Brookings Institution, and Resources for the Future. He became prominent in political science and political economy through the publication of “A Utility Theory of Representative Government” in the American Economic Review (1971) and his book, Representative Government and Environmental Management (1973).

At Penn, he taught courses in public policy and American government, initiating a joint dual BA/MA program for undergraduates in public policy, an opportunity that attracted John DiIulio (then a Penn undergraduate and now the Fox Leadership Professor of Political Science at Penn) and others to pursue politics and public policy as academic careers.

He took early retirement in 1983, but was persuaded to return to Penn as chair of the department of political science in 1985. His goal was to recruit new faculty in political theory and political institutions. After serving for three years, he returned to retirement in 1988 and moved with his wife, Ruth, to Nebraska.

Mr. Haefele was awarded a Purple Heart and Presidential Unit Citation for his service in the US Army; he served from 1943-46. His academic life was unusual in that although he attended Illinois Wesleyan University, 1946-48 and the University of Chicago from 1948-50, he did not have any university degrees, but became a tenured full professor and department chair based on the quality of his scholarship.

Mr. Haefele is survived by his wife, Ruth; daughters, Anne Haefele and Dorothy Odgren; and sons, Douglas and John Haefele.


Dr. Mendelson, Wharton

Mendelson

Dr. Morris Mendelson, professor emeritus of finance at the Wharton School, died on March 16, at the age of 85.

Through 50 years of teaching at Wharton, he became internationally recognized in the field of finance, particularly in market structure.  He was a pioneer in proposing automation of the trading on exchanges, in particular, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).

Dr. Mendelson was born in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada in 1922 and immigrated to the US in 1946.  He received his PhD from Cornell University in 1950, and joined the Wharton faculty in 1961 after teaching at MIT, Harvard, Cornell and Penn State. He retired in

1994, but continued to teach.

In 1975, together with colleagues Junius Peake and R.T. Williams Jr., he proposed replacing the auditory trading system of the NYSE with a fully electronic auction market at Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) hearings.  This revolutionary idea was the catalyst that eventually led to a complete restructuring of the NYSE.

Dr. Mendelson served as a consultant to the SEC and the Justice Department, as well as the Stock Exchanges in Japan, Canada, France (Paris Bourse), Lithuania, Russia and Switzerland.

In addition, Dr. Mendelson was a member of the International Futures and Commodity Institute in Geneva and the International Faculty for Corporate and Capital Market Law since its founding in 1975. He served as an arbitrator for the National Futures Association and as president of the International Global Interdependence Center in 1996.

In addition to his teaching duties, Dr. Mendelson was very active in campus governance. He served many years on the Faculty Senate’s Committee on the Faculty, served as president of the Board of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP), and also served on the board of the Faculty Club, now known as the University Club at Penn.

Upon his retirement from the executive board of the AAUP, the board commented that, “His knowledge of the University and the Faculty Senate was invaluable in problem solving and strategy development. His experience in University affairs contributed significantly to building networks to resolve problems. We are grateful for his decades-long dedication to the ideals of shared governance.”

Dr. Mendelson is survived by his daughter, Jacqueline; his son, Bruce; and two grandchildren, Max and Kansas.


Dr. Rose, Pediatrics

Rose

Dr. Elizabeth Kirk Rose, associate professor emerita of community medicine and pediatrics, died on February 23; she was 106.

Dr. Rose was raised in New Castle, Pennsylvania. In 1923, she earned her bachelors of arts degree at the University of Wisconsin where she received a Phi Beta Kappa Award.

She graduated in 1926 from Penn’s School of Medicine. Upon her death, she was the oldest alumni of the University. She completed her internship at HUP where she was the only woman among 28 office staff. She married her colleague, Dr. Edward Rose and then completed a year of residency at CHOP.

For two decades, Dr. Rose was a practicing pediatrician at HUP and a member of the faculty at the School of Medicine. She also served on the staff of both CHOP and Presbyterian Hospital. In 1950 she was appointed by Mayor Joseph Clark to head the Division of Maternal and Child Health at the Philadelphia Department of Public Health.

In 1956 she joined the Penn faculty in the department of community health and helped lay the groundwork for involving medical students and residents in community-based learning and outreach. In 1974, Dr. Rose and her husband, Edward, retired from their respective practices and faculty positions at Penn. Dr. Edward Rose predeceased his wife (Almanac February 3, 1987).

A champion for women, Dr. Rose held picnics for female medical students and alumnae of the medical school in 1962. This evolved into the annual Elizabeth Kirk Rose Women in Medicine Dinner, to celebrate Dr. Rose and to bring medical school alumnae back to campus to advise and mentor female medical students.

In addition to mentoring medical students, Dr. Rose served as secretary of the Class of 1926 until her death and was granted the medical school’s highest honor, the Distinguished Graduate Award, along with her husband in 1983.

Dr. Rose was active in many professional and civic organizations including the Philadelphia United Cerebral Palsy Association, the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children, the Curative Workshop at Penn, the Philadelphia Pediatric Society, the Penn Alumnae Association, the Philadelphia-Camden Social Service Exchange, the Mulberry Tree Nursery School, the Shut-In Society, Philadelphia Youth Hostel Association, and the Wynnewood Civic Association.

Other memberships included the Penn Rehabilitation Commission, the Women’s Faculty Club (president 1968-70), the Philadelphia County Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the Philadelphia College of Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Pennsylvania Public Health Association.

In 1993, Dr. Rose was awarded the Distinguished Daughter of Pennsylvania Award, established to honor outstanding women in recognition of their leadership and contributions to the state.

Dr. Rose is survived by sons, Edward and William; and two grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held 2:30 p.m., Saturday, April 5 at Kendal at Longwood, 1109 E. Baltimore Pike (Route 1), Kennett Square, PA.

To Report A Death

Almanac appreciates being informed of the deaths of current and former faculty and staff members, students, and other members of the University community.

However, notices of alumni deaths should be directed to the Alumni Records Office at Room 545, Franklin Building, (215) 898-8136 or e-mail record@ben.dev.upenn.edu.

Almanac - March 25, 2008, Volume 54, No. 26