Print This Issue

February 24, 2009, Volume 55, No. 23

Dr. Detweiler, Veterinary Medicine

Dr. David K. Detweiler, professor emeritus of animal biology in the School of Veterinary Medicine, died from esophageal cancer February 15 at the age of 89. Dr. Detweiler, C’41, V’42, G’49, was recognized as a world leader in veterinary comparative cardiology, and after he received his VMD degree from Penn in 1942, he immediately joined the faculty as an assistant instructor in physiology and pharmacology. 

A complete obituary for Dr. Detweiler with details of a memorial service will be published.

Mr. Negahban, Penn Museum

Ezat O. Negahban, former visiting curator at the Penn Museum, passed away February 2 of Parkinson’s disease at age 82. He had been a resident of Wynnefield.

Before coming to the Penn, Mr. Negahban served on the faculty at the University of Tehran in his native country of Iran. While at Penn from 1980 to 2001, Mr. Negahban worked in the Near East section specializing in Iranian archaeology. He spent his years writing half a dozen books based on his earlier research and contributed articles to Expedition, the Penn Museum’s magazine.

Mr. Negahban was regarded as one of the foremost Iranian archaeologists of his generation and was informally noted as the “Father of Modern Iran Archaeology.” In 1999 he was honored by Iran with their Cultural Heritage decoration for his lifetime contributions to Iranian archaeology.

Mr. Negahban was a 1948 graduate of the archaeology department at University of Tehran. He attended the University of Michigan for English-language study in 1949 and earned his master’s degree in archaeology from the University of Chicago in 1954.

Mr. Negahban is survived by his wife, Miriam; sons, Bahman, Mehrdad, Babak and Daryush; six grandchildren; an adopted son, Ali, and his two sons; and a step-granddaughter.

Memorial donations may be made to the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 3260 South St., Philadelphia, PA 19104.

Dr. Shelley, Dermatology, Medicine

Dr. Walter Brown Shelley, former professor and chair in the department of dermatology, died of colorectal cancer January 30 at his home in Ohio. He was 91.

Dr. Shelley was appointed to the standing faculty in the department of dermatology in 1950 after completing his residency at HUP. He  taught and conducted research that resulted in the discovery of many diseases, including allergies to female hormones, and a milk-like secretion of the armpit glands responsible for odor that led to the development of antiperspirant. In the 1960s, he devised a test to detect penicillin sensitivity, and in the 1970s, he pinpointed the cell causing an allergic reaction to poison ivy contact. He chaired the department from 1965 until he resigned in 1980. After leaving Penn, Dr. Shelley joined the faculty of the department of dermatology at the Medical College of Ohio (now the University of Toledo College of Medicine), from where he retired in 1997.

Dr. Shelley authored and coauthored 16 books and over 600 scientific articles. His books include a major textbook, Dermatology (1956); and his autobiography, The Skin Around Me: Adventures in Dermatology (2007).

Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, he earned bachelor’s, doctoral and medical degrees from the University of Minnesota. He served in the Army during World War II, researching how the body acclimatizes—and sweats—in tropical conditions.

Dr. Shelley is survived by his wife, Ellen Dorinda Loeffel; sons, Peter, Thomas and William; daughters, Anne Kiselewich and Katharine; and three granddaughters.

Dr. Reid, Veterinary Medicine


Dr. Charles F. Reid, professor emeritus of radiology and a founder of the American College of Veterinary Radiologists, died early Thursday morning, February 12, while walking his dogs with his longtime companion Kathleen Crompton. He was 75.

Dr. Reid graduated from Cornell University’s School of Veterinary Medicine in 1956 and following military service, earned an MS from Cornell and completed a two-year research fellowship at the VA Hospital in New York. He then joined the Penn faculty at New Bolton Center in 1963. In his 35-year tenure at the University of Pennsylvania, he chaired both the section of radiology and the department of clinical studies at New Bolton Center.

His commitment to teaching is legendary and veterinarians in both large- and small-animal practice recount tales of his teaching rounds and the lessons they learned. He trained radiologists who migrated to Penn from a wide geographical area and then departed to veterinary schools and practices both in the US and abroad.

Acknowledged by both his friends in the horse world and colleagues in the veterinary profession as the “father of equine radiology,” his opinion was sought worldwide because of his clinical approach to equine radiographic interpretation. His yearly “consulting session” at the AAEP Annual Convention developed into the famed Radiology Panels of the ’70s, during which Dr. Reid’s affectionate and humorous jousting with the panelists kept the lecture rooms filled to overflowing with veterinarians grateful for his insight and entertained by his wit.

Dr. Reid is survived by his brother, Richard; his sons, Todd and Tom; three grandchildren; and his companion, Kathleen Crompton.

In accordance with Dr. Reid’s wishes, the service will be private. A celebration of his life will be held in the spring.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Charles F. Reid Scholarship Fund. Checks should be made payable to the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania, earmarked for the Veterinary Scholarship Fund and sent to the Development Office at New Bolton Center, 382 West Street Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348.


To Report A Death

Almanac appreciates being informed of the deaths of current and former faculty and staff members, students, and other members of the University community.

However, notices of alumni deaths should be directed to the Alumni Records Office at Room 545, Franklin Building, (215) 898-8136 or e-mail record@ben.dev.upenn.edu.

Almanac - February 24, 2009, Volume 55, No. 23