|2009 Performance and Staff Development Program
March 3, 2009,
Volume 55, No. 24
Open and effective communication is essential when it comes to enhancing performance and achieving goals. The Performance and Staff Development Program (the annual performance appraisal program) provides staff and supervisors with a formal process to open the lines of communication and promote a healthy work environment.
The performance appraisal process provides benefits for both the staff member and the supervisor, such as:
• Providing documented feedback on job expectations, performance, and
accomplishments from the past year
• Offering positive reinforcement as well as developmental feedback
• Allowing staff members to participate in goal-setting
• Setting performance expectations and goals for the upcoming year
• Encouraging open communication between staff and supervisors
• Promoting discussion of professional development opportunities
• Ensuring that job performance and accomplishment information is recorded in each staff member’s official personnel file
This year, performance appraisals for all eligible regular staff should be completed and entered into the Performance Appraisal Database (PAD) by June 1, 2009. You can find information and materials for the 2009 appraisal cycle on the Human Resources website at www.hr.upenn.edu/staffrelations/performance. For assistance and training on the Performance and Staff Development Program, contact Human Resources at (215) 898-6093.
—Division of Human Resources