|“Share-the-Road” Campaign: March 24
March 17, 2009,
Volume 55, No. 25
Warm weather is just around the corner, as well as increased bike riding to and from Penn. Public Safety will kick-off the “Share-the-Road” campaign next week at an event that will focus on educating both bikers and motorists of basic safety practices and City and State laws to allow for a safe riding environment, and safety for pedestrians as well.
Penn’s “Share-the-Road” campaign will have members from the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia, Neighborhood Bike Works, USP, Drexel, EMS, Trophy Bikes, MERT and the Undergraduate Assembly available on site to answer questions and provide information on Tuesday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m. at the entrance of Locust Walk at 34th and Walnut Streets.
Bicycle Planning at the University of Pennsylvania
Bike Parking: Recent Additions (Funded by FRES, DPS and Business Services)
• Garage #37 at 34th and Chestnut: 30 bike capacity (indoor and attended)
• Fresh Grocer Garage at 40th and Walnut: 30 bike capacity (indoor and attended)
• Richards Building: 2 new racks (10 hoops on rails) (20 bike capacity) (covered)
• Morgan Building: 2 new racks (10 hoops on rails) (20 bike capacity)
• Stemmler Hall: 2 new racks (10 hoops on rails) 20 bike capacity (covered)
• Blockley Hall: 3 new racks (15 hoops on rails) 30 bike capacity)
• 12 on-street racks to be sited soon (24 bike capacity)
Bicycle Racks on Buses: PennTransit has installed bicycle racks on the front of their East and West large bus shuttles to encourage intermodal use and more options for cyclists (put bike on bus in rain or late night).
Penn’s Bicycle Policy (Almanac October 22, 2002) prohibits riding on walkways between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday-Friday. More signage is planned to make this more readily obvious.
For more information go to: www.dot.state.pa.us/BIKE/WEB/bikelaws.htm and see Public Safety’s brochure, Driving and Cycling Safety on Penn’s Campus, which can be downloaded as a PDF at www.publicsafety.upenn.edu or picked up at the Share-the-Road event next Tuesday afternoon.