|From the Office of the Provost
July 14, 2009,
Volume 56, No. 01
Search for Vice Provost for Faculty
Vincent Price, who took office as Penn’s 29th Provost on July 1, 2009, announces the formation of a consultative committee to advise him on the selection of a new Vice Provost for Faculty.
As the campus leader with broad oversight of faculty affairs across the University, the Vice Provost for Faculty reports directly to the Provost and is a member of the senior leadership team for academic and strategic planning. The Vice Provost develops faculty policies and oversees the academic personnel process at Penn, including recruitment, retention, and retirement; appointments, tenure, and promotions; enhancement of faculty diversity and gender and minority equity; and resolution of individual faculty issues, including grievances. S/he coordinates the Provost’s Staff Conference and works closely with the school deans and department chairs, the Faculty Senate, Ombudsman, Affirmative Action Officer, and the Vice President for Human Resources.
The committee invites nominations of and applications from currently tenured faculty members at Penn. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the University and its policies and practices, as well as experience addressing sensitive issues in an effective and principled manner. Candidates must be tactful and discreet in handling confidential information and work well with faculty, staff, deans, and department chairs in negotiating difficult situations. Excellent written and oral communication skills, sound judgment, and demonstrated administrative competence are all necessary.
Nominations and applications, including CVs, should be sent by September 11 to Vice Provost for Faculty Search, Office of the Provost, 122 College Hall/6303; or by e-mail to Leo Charney, Office of the Provost, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The members of the consultative committee are:
• Robert Hornik (Chair), Wilbur Schramm Professor of Communication, Annenberg School for Communication; Chair-Elect, Faculty Senate
• Regina Austin, William A. Schnader Professor of Law, Law School
• Vijay Kumar, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and UPS Foundation Professor, School of Engineering and Applied Science
• Caryn Lerman, Mary W. Calkins Professor, School of Medicine and Annenberg School for Communication
• Deborah Thomas, Associate Professor of Anthropology, School of Arts & Sciences
• Michael Useem, William and Jacalyn Egan Professor of Management, Wharton School
• Leo Charney, Office of the Provost, ex officio