|Call for Nominations—Award to Recognize Advancing Role of Women in Higher Education
September 15, 2009,
Volume 56, No. 03
Provost Vincent Price and the Trustees Council of Penn Women are pleased to announce a new Award of Recognition for significant contributions by Penn faculty to advancing the role of women in higher education and research at Penn.
Candidates may be male or female, either individuals or groups of collaborators, whose achievements have significantly advanced the role of women in the Penn community. The selection committee for the Award includes Susan Margulies (SEAS, Bioengineering), Lisa Bellini (SOM, Medicine), Rita Barnard (SAS, English), Antonella Grassi (SAS, Mathematics), Clifford Deutschman (SOM, Anesthesiology), and Walter Wales (SAS, Physics).
The committee will seek to reward success in advancing the scholarly and professional development of women at Penn. Examples of qualifying achievements include:
• Developing ways to overcome obstacles to the advancement of women in academia;
• Increasing the presence of women in fields in which they are historically underrepresented;
• Facilitating the advancement of women to positions of academic leadership at Penn;
• Improving the environment for female faculty at Penn;
• Creating mechanisms for professional development and recognition through the full span of a female faculty member’s career at Penn.
Nominations may be made by deans, department chairs, and center directors, or by individual faculty members with the endorsement of a dean, department chair, or center director. Nomination materials, including the dean’s letter of endorsement, supporting letters of recommendation from Penn colleagues or the wider higher education community, if any, and current curriculum vitae of the nominees should be submitted to email@example.com by October 19. (Update: the deadline has been extended to November 6.) Award recipients will be announced in the spring and will receive $5,000 (divided among collaborators in the event of multiple recipients).