I. Approval of the Minutes of the October 28, 2009 University Council Meeting (1 minute)
II. Follow Up Comments or Questions on Status Reports (5 minutes)
III. Discussion of Health and Work-Life Resources at Penn Related to Parenting and Childcare Care Opportunities for Students, Faculty and Staff (35 minutes)
IV. Open Forum (45 minutes)
V. New Business (5 minutes)
1. Recommendation that Penn stop buying plastic bottles and urge the community to utilize reusable containers. Topic submitted by Frances Hoenigswald, Invoice Clerk, Biddle Law Library.
2. Concerns regarding the substantial waste of food and fiscal loss associated with some of Penn’s dining plans. Topic submitted by Michael Levenstein, C’13.
3. Issues pertaining to the relatively small space of the Undergraduate Student Study Center in Van Pelt-Dietrich Library available to students for after-midnight study and the hygiene of the bathrooms in the Undergraduate Student Study Center. Topic submitted by Seemantini Mihir, graduate student at SP2.
4. Penn’s investment in HEI Hotels which has been accused of mistreating its workers. Topic submitted by Elizabeth “Rosie” Brown, C’12.
5. Issues pertaining to transportation and clearances for students involved in community engagement activities in West Philadelphia. Topic submitted by Jamie Tomczuk C’10, student director of Community School Student Partnerships.
6. Suggestion for the addition of an official American Sign Language Minor at Penn. Topic submitted by Arielle Spellun, C’12, leader of Penn In Hand, an ASL/deaf student appreciation club.
7. Concerns regarding the current state of the South Asian Studies Department. Topic submitted by Roopa Gogineni, C’10.
8. Discussion of the PULSE survey and ongoing efforts to develop a comprehensive campus climate survey. Topic submitted by Ryan Jobson, C’11, Planning and Facilitating Chair of UMOJA.