Dr. Edwards, Human Resources
Dr. Beverly Edwards, executive director of learning & education/communications in Human Resources, died February 18 at the Penn Hospice at Rittenhouse at the age of 53.
Dr. Edwards took her BA in English from Albright College in 1979 and continued in English with an MA from Bryn Mawr College and a PhD from Lehigh University. In 1993 she earned an MBA from the Wharton School and then became a principal at American Management Systems in Fairfax, Virginia.
As executive director of learning & education/communications since 1999, Dr. Edwards was responsible for developing a comprehensive, multidisciplinary training program for the University. Prior to that she served as director of Wharton’s Aresty Institute of Executive Education (1997) and as senior director of training in Wharton’s division of finance (1998).
Among her many accomplishments at the University of Pennsylvania, she led the design and implementation of a leadership development program (“Leadership@Penn”) for senior professionals. In 2003, she received an honorable mention by the Models of Excellence awards. She was elected to the University Club at Penn Board of Governors in 2001 and had served as the secretary for the last seven years.
Dr. Edwards is survived by her mother, Irene Edwards; and her partner, Fernando Mendez, and his son, Fernando Andres.
Contributions may be made to Penn Hospice at Rittenhouse, 1800 Lombard St., Philadelphia, PA 19146 or Humane Society of Berks County, 1801 N. 11th St., Reading, PA 19604 or St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, 1018 N. 8th St., Reading, PA 19604.
A memorial service for Dr. Edwards will be held on Monday, March 7 at 3:30 p.m. in the Woodlands Ballroom at the Inn at Penn.
Mr. Netter, Netter Center
Edward Netter, C’53, PAR’83, and benefactor of the Barbara and Edward Netter Center for Community Partnerships at the University of Pennsylvania, died February 16 at the age of 78.
“Edward left very large and lasting footprints behind—especially on the Penn campus. He was a dedicated and beloved alumnus, who spent his life improving the lives of others. There is no more fitting monument to his vision, commitment to service, and generosity than our esteemed Barbara and Edward Netter Center for Community Partnerships, which has served as an exemplar of meaningful local engagement for scores of Penn students, faculty and staff,” said President Amy Gutmann.
Netter Center Director Ira Harkavy added that, “Mr. Netter was a successful businessman, a path breaking philanthropist, a visionary innovator and institution builder, a most loving husband, father, and grandfather, and a caring, compassionate, humble human being, who treated everyone he met with dignity and kindness.”
Following graduation from the University of Pennsylvania in 1953, Mr. Netter’s career began at Cogan, Berlind, Weill & Levitt, a prominent investment banking firm in New York City which evolved into Shearson Loeb Rhoades. Mr. Netter was one of the inventors of the modern-day financial services holding company. Based on these innovative business principles, he founded Netter International, Ltd. in 1972 and became chairman of its successor, Geneve Corporation, a financial services holding company that has controlling interests in numerous prominent public and private businesses which straddle the financial, distribution and manufacturing worlds principally in the insurance and education sectors.
Mr. Netter donated his time, knowledge, and resources to many charities, with a focus on science, education, and human services. “It was Edward, and his wife Barbara’s, invaluable ideas, exemplary commitment, and extraordinary generosity that transformed the work of Penn’s Center for Community Partnerships, taking it to the next level—locally, nationally, and globally,” said Dr. Harkavy.
Mr. and Mrs. Netter’s involvement with the Center began through its Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative (AUNI) in the late 1990s. After visiting an after-school fruit stand that AUNI had developed at Drew Elementary School, in University City, they began supporting the program, both financially and intellectually. Mr. Netter challenged the program’s director to grow the work strategically, envisioning that AUNI’s work in nutrition education could reach 20 schools, impacting 10,000 K-12 students. AUNI not only has exceeded those goals today, but also, the three original fellows funded by the Netters have now gone on to pursue public health and medical careers.
As Mr. Netter became increasingly involved with the Center for Community Partnerships, he was convinced that its model of university-assisted community schools was a particularly effective and efficient approach for national school reform. He urged the Center to do a comprehensive study of the impact of the model—and disseminate its findings widely—which has led academics, community and school partners, policymakers, funders, and business leaders to understand the powerful potential of university-assisted community schools to improve schools, communities, and societies.
A true philanthropist, Mr. Netter had the compassion, desire and will to make genuine improvements to our society. In recognition of their exceptional contributions, in 2007 the Center was named the Barbara and Edward Netter Center for Community Partnerships (Almanac October 2, 2007).
More recently, Mr. Netter promoted the idea that the Netter Center create regional training centers and he was particularly proud that the first regional center led to over 20 universities in five Southwestern states developing university-assisted community schools. “Thanks to Edward and Barbara’s vision and generosity, the Netter Center is, and will forever into the future, be helping other communities and universities adapt its work,” said Dr. Harkavy.
In 2001, Mr. and Mrs. Netter established the Alliance for Cancer Gene Therapy (ACGT) as the only public charity focused exclusively on cell and gene therapy research, which is widely believed to be the next significant key to the development of effective and safe treatments of all types of cancer. With 100% of contributions going directly to science, and a 17-member Scientific Advisory Council composed exclusively of pre-eminent doctors and academics in the field of cell and gene therapy, ACGT has made grants of more than $22 million to pioneering investigators at 27 renowned U.S. research institutions; there are currently 17 ongoing clinical trials based on ACGT’s sponsorship. A number of Penn physicians and researchers have been recipients of ACGT grants.
Since 2002, Mr. Netter served as an adviser on the Netter Center’s National Advisory Board. He established a lasting legacy at the Netter Center, at Penn, and around the country. Dr. Harkavy said he will be profoundly missed. President Amy Gutmann and Dr. Harkavy offered remarks in Mr. Netter’s memory at his funeral.
Mr. Netter is survived by his wife, Barbara; their daughter and son-in-law, Vicki and Bill Fitzgerald; son, Don, W’83; daughter-in-law, Stephanie; and granddaughters, Arianna Nell and Samantha Charli.
Donations may be made to the Alliance for Cancer Gene Therapy at www.acgtfoundation.org
Dr. Storey, Medicine
Dr. Patrick B. Storey, professor emeritus of medicine, died February 17; he was 86.
Coming from Hahnemann Hospital and Medical College, Dr. Storey was appointed medical director of Graduate Hospital and professor of community medicine in the School of Medicine in 1972. He was also named director of the new Penn Urban Health Maintenance Program. In 1977, he was appointed professor of medicine when his primary department changed. He accorded emeritus status in 1989.
A member of the Provost’s Council on International Programs, Dr. Storey was appointed associate dean for international medical programs in 1989. He was a member of Physicians for Social Responsibility, a U.S. affiliate of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, which received the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize.
Dr. Storey learned Russian as an adult and intensively studied the Soviet Union’s health care system. He travelled to Russia with then-Provost Michael Aiken and then-director of International Medical Programs Larry Early to establish academic ties with the Pavlov Medical Institute following the disintegration of the Soviet Union.
In 2000, Dr. Storey was honored with the Community Leadership Award by Philadelphia Health Services for his pioneering efforts in making community healthcare accessible for thousands of families.
Dr. Storey earned his undergraduate degree from Fordham University in 1943 and his medical degree from Georgetown University in 1947.
Dr. Storey is survived by his wife, Mary Storey; children, Eileen Storey Record, Catherine Marie Buddemeyer, Marion Storey Biddle and Thomas P. Storey; 10 grandchildren; and a brother, Laurence B. Storey.
Contributions may be made to the Biomedical Library at University of Pennsylvania, Johnson Pavilion, Attn: Barbara Cavanaugh, 3610 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
To Report A Death
Almanac appreciates being informed of the deaths of current and former faculty and staff members, students, and other members of the University community.
However, notices of alumni deaths should be directed to the Alumni Records Office at Room 545, Franklin Building, (215) 898-8136 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.