Print This Issue

Some Spectacular Sculptures Sprinkled Around Penn's Campus in Various Buildings

July 12, 2011, Volume 58, No. 01

A summer sculpture quiz: in which Penn building would one find each of these sculptures?
For those who are not sure, there is a cheat sheet below;
The newest addition to Penn’s collection was added this spring: Nightingale’s Light (#1).

Which sculpture resides in these buildings?

Annenberg School for Communication
College Hall
Fagin Hall
Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall
Van Pelt-Dietrich Library
Vagelos Labs
Weiss Pavilion


Nightingale’s Light–Knowledge with Compassion, donated by W. G. Middleton, artist and architect; James Harmon, glass artist and fabricator. This 16” x 12” x 12” model for a larger sculpture represents the light from Florence Nightingale’s lantern which has been an inspiration to the nursing profession since its inception.


Grande Venus, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, ca. 1915, bronze. Donated in 1996 by Jeffrey and Silvia Loria, long-time patrons of the arts.


Construction 66, Jose De Rivera, 1959, chrome, nickel, steel, welded sheet tubing, on a Carrera marble base. Donated by the Annenberg Foundation, in 1963 in memory of Moses Annenberg, father of Walter Annenberg, who attended Wharton in the 1920s and went on to found the Annenberg School for Communication in 1958.


Jean D’Aire, Auguste Rodin, 1889, bronze; donated by Jeffrey Loria, in 1983, while his daughter was a student at Penn. Jean D’Aire is a figure from Rodin’s famous sculpture series Les Bourgeois de Calais which depicts six French city leaders who offered themselves in sacrifice to England’s King Edward, but were spared at the request of the King’s pregnant wife.


#3 Williamsburg Series, Robert Engman, emeritus professor of fine arts, and former co-chair of the department at the University of Pennsylvania, 1963, stainless steel. Donated by friends and family of L. Osmond Benoliel.


Untitled, Robert Engman, 1999, bronze, stainless steel, limestone. Commissioned and donated by Roy, C’50, and Diana Vagelos.

The Relay, R. Tait McKenzie, 1910, bronze, part of the J. William White Collection, named for a long-time professor of surgery and former physical education instructor at Penn, who convinced Dr. McKenzie, a noted orthopaedic surgeon, to join the faculty where he directed one of the most successful exercise and sports programs in the country. Dr. White established the J. William White Research Professorship, which allowed Dr. McKenzie to sculpt and cast the works of art, most depicting athletes.

The answer key:

1. Fagin Hall, School of Nursing
2. College Hall, first floor lobby
3. Annenberg School for Communication, Walnut Street Entrance
4. Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, first floor atrium
5 Van Pelt-Dietrich Library, third floor rear by elevator
6. Institute for Advanced Study of Technology (Vagelos Laboratories), lobby
7. Weiss Pavilion, first floor

Almanac - July 12, 2011, Volume 58, No. 01