Memorial: Louis Carter
“Remembering the life—honoring the legacy” will be the theme for the celebration of the life of professor emeritus Louis H. Carter who died November 28 at the age of 85 (Almanac December 13, 2011). The memorial service will be held on Saturday, February 18, at 10:30 a.m. on the 8th floor of Jon M. Huntsman Hall. To RSVP email email@example.com or call (215) 573-2648. To make a gift to the Louis H. Carter Endowed Lectureship visit www.sp2.upenn.edu/giving/online.html and select ‘schools,’ ‘SP2, ’ then “Carter Lectureship.”
Dr. Frayer, Ophthalmology
Dr. William C. Frayer, professor emeritus of ophthalmology in the Scheie Eye Institute, passed away January 17 at age 91.
“Dr. Frayer spent more than 50 years in the department of ophthalmology during a critical time of medical change and ophthalmic discovery,” said Dr. Joan O’Brien, chair of the department, in a letter sent to faculty and staff.
After serving in the Army as a captain and then completing his residency, Dr. Frayer joined the faculty in 1952. He left Penn in 1964, but returned in 1972 to help launch the Scheie Eye Institute. He became emeritus professor in 1991.
Dr. Frayer also served as the director of the William C. Frayer Ophthalmic Pathology Laboratory, and on two separate occasions served as interim chair of the department. After his retirement from the department, Dr. Frayer continued to attend grand rounds and faculty meetings, and to consult and advise faculty and residents.
Dr. O’Brien commented that, “Despite the many advances in technology and changes in medical administration, Dr. Frayer never lost sight of the true focus of ophthalmology. ‘Our daily contact with patients remains the single most gratifying part of being an ophthalmologist. No matter how elaborate our systems have become, this interaction between doctor and patient remains the most significant part of our lives.’ His words, and indeed his life, are an inspiration to ophthalmologists and medical practitioners everywhere.”
The author of numerous medical articles, Dr. Frayer wrote a history of ophthalmology at Penn, Ophthalmic Journey, 50 Years at the University of Pennsylvania, published in 2002. He and his son, William J., co-wrote a scientific paper, “Fish Stories and Clinical Tales,” published in 2004 in the Archives of Ophthalmology.
Raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Dr. Frayer earned a bachelor’s degree from Brown University in 1943 and a medical degree from the University of Michigan in 1945.
Dr. Frayer is survived by his wife, Joy; his sons, William, Brackley and Frederick; stepdaughters, Beth McDevitt and Joanne Munsell; two sisters; 11 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Donations are being accepted for the Dr. William C. Frayer Memorial Fund c/o Dr. Joan O’Brien, Scheie Eye Institute, 51 N. 39th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Dr. Kelley, Wharton
Dr. William T. Kelley, associate professor emeritus of marketing in the Wharton School, died July 17, 2011 at age 94.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, Dr. Kelley earned his BA from the University of Toronto in 1939, his MBA from the Wharton School in 1941 and his PhD in economics, also from Penn, in 1951. That same year he was appointed assistant professor in the department of marketing. He was promoted to associate professor in 1958. He retired in 1982.
Dr. Kelley’s areas of expertise included advisory procedures, policies and management, transportation economics and management and public utility promotion.
A contributor to many marketing journals, Dr. Kelley also co-authored Changing Patterns of Retailing, Selling: Its Broader Dimensions and The Management of Promotion.
In addition to teaching, Dr. Kelley served as a consultant to General Motors; and the US government organizations, International Cooperative Administration and the War Shipping Administration.
Dr. Kelley received the Herbert W. Hess Memorial Award for Distinguished Service in Marketing in 1954.
Dr. Kelley is survived by his wife, Barbara and his son, Thomas.
Ms. Stephens, Women’s Club
Mrs. Helen E. Stephens, a founding member of the University of Pennsylvania Women’s Club and widow of William E. Stephens, former chair of the physics department and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, passed away January 20 at age 104.
After Dr. and Mrs. Stephens moved to Philadelphia in the early 1940s, Mrs. Stephens became a founding member of the recently merged Faculty Tea Club and the University Tea Committee. She served on its various committees as well its board. The club’s name officially changed to University of Pennsylvania Women’s Club in 1983. The club’s early mission included inspiring fellowship among the faculty wives to aiding new faculty members, offering services for women, funding female students’ educations, and performing community service.
Mrs. Stephens is survived by her son, Richard B.; granddaughters, Robin, Elizabeth H.; and grandson, Benjamin K. Her husband, Dr. Stephens, died in 1980.
An organ concert in her memory followed by a reception is planned for 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 17 at the Beaumont Retirement Community, 601 N. Ithan Avenue, Bryn Mawr, PA.
Donations may be made to the Penn Wynne Library, 130 Overbrook Parkway, Wynnewood, PA 19096 (www.lmls.org/lib_pennwynne.html).
To Report A Death
Almanac appreciates being informed of the deaths of current and former faculty and staff members, students, and other members of the University community.
However, notices of alumni deaths should be directed to the Alumni Records Office at Room 545, Franklin Building, (215) 898-8136 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org