Trustees' May Coverage
May 22, 2012,
Volume 58, No. 34
At the Trustees' meeting of the Executive Committee on May 10, President Amy Gutmann announced the transformative gift from Mindy Basser Gray and her husband Jon Gray.
Penn offered admission to 12.3 percent of more than 31,000 applicants for the Class of 2016. The largest number of African-American students in Penn's history have accepted admission.
Dr. Gutmann also noted some highlights of this semester: Dorothy Roberts has been named the 14th PIK Professor (Almanac April 17, 2012); a milestone for the Action Plan for Faculty Diversity and Excellence with Ben Garcia named the 1st Presidential Term Professor (Almanac March 27, 2012); Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomoyer spoke at the Law School's Golkin Hall dedication (Almanac April 10, 2012); First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden came to Penn to announce their Joining Forces initiative (Almanac April 17, 2012).
Dr. Gutmann said that the recent partnership with USC's Shoah Foundation Institute brings an invaluable resource "that transcends traditional scholarly boundaries," (Almanac April 24, 2012).
In honor of Jamaica's 50th anniversary of independence, Jamaican Prime Minister Portia Simpson-Miller presented Penn with the Jamaican flag at the Penn Relays, to be flown at all future Relays—"a fitting gesture to acknowledge overwhelming Jamaican support and participation in this historic Penn event."
Honduran President Porfirio Lobo visited campus to celebrate the opening of Penn Museum's MAYA.2012 exhibition and to show support for the Museum's partnership with Honduras.
Provost Vincent Price spoke about the recently announced appointment of Dr. Julian Siggers as the new Williams Director of the Penn Museum effective July 1 (Almanac May 1, 2012).
Dr. Larry Jameson reported that the Perelman School of Medicine will provide full scholarships to 12 students this fall thanks to the naming gift received last spring (Almanac May 24, 2011).
The trustees passed the following resolutions:
- Quadrangle interior renovations, $8,000,000
- Revised budget for Ryan Animal Hospital air handling unit 3 & 4 replacement for an additional $2,000,000 (Total Revised Budget of $7,200,000)
- Evans Building Endodontic Suite renovation, $2,100,000
- John Morgan Building Small Animal Imaging Facility expansion, $1,690,000
- Lease Renewal for the Perelman School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Treatment Research Center; Total Lease Obligation (PV) $1,568,000
- Lease Renewal for the Perelman School of Medicine, Department of Medical Ethics; Total Lease Obligation (PV) $1,101,000