Business Services Update
July 17, 2012,
Volume 59, No. 01
Penn’s Business Services Division (BSD) provides the leadership, business practices, facilities, and services needed to develop and maintain a hospitable, fiscally responsible, customer-friendly campus environment. Our mission is to provide high-quality service in a fiscally-responsible manner and our vision is to continually set the standard within each of our operating units. Please note the following updates to some of our services as well as promotions benefiting the Penn community in the upcoming year.
—Marie Witt, Vice President, Business Services
New Parking Rates for FY 13
Penn Parking is announcing new permit parking rates for permit parking as well as daily parking for campus parking lots and garages. These new rates take into account where demand has been growing and increasingly exceeding available supply for permits while also providing additional pricing categories from which patrons may choose.
Three locations that have the highest demand for permits will now be priced as Prime permit locations. These locations are the following garages: Chestnut 34 (formerly garage 37), Museum (formerly garage 7) and Curie Blvd a.k.a. Garage 44. Transfer lists for these locations are at least twice as long as for any other location. To reflect the high demand for these locations, the FY 13 permit parking rate for these locations will be increased to $1,950/year or $162.50/month. This is approximately $7.80/day.
Most other parking locations will see their permit parking rate increased to $1,913.04/year or $159.42/month. This is approximately $7.65/day.
Remote parking locations (Hollenback, formerly lot 29, and River Fields, formerly lot 33) will see the rates move to $1,219.08/year or $101.59/month. This is approximately $4.88/day.
Penn Parking will continue to offer 24-hr permits which will now be $2,369/year as well as Evening/Weekend permits for $956/year or $79.67/month. Those who bring a motorcycle, moped or Segway to campus can buy a permit for their vehicle at designated locations on campus for $544/year or $45.33/month.
Event Parking Arrangements
If you plan to host an event on campus and will need parking for your guests, please send an email to the Parking Office, email@example.com, to make arrangements in advance to ensure that parking will be available.
If you are looking to reduce your commuting costs, Penn offers a wide array of commuting options. As part of the Sustainable Transportation Initiative, a contributing effort of the Green Campus Partnership, Penn Parking provides the following alternatives to driving alone to campus:
• Transit cost-savings program: Eligible faculty and staff can sign up to make pre-tax contributions and receive discounted and subsidized SEPTA monthly passes, subsidized PATCO Freedom Card contributions, subsidized New Jersey Transit fare media, as well as a pre-paid debit card to purchase SEPTA tokens and Amtrak tickets (www.upenn.edu/penncommuter).
• Pre-tax commuter parking: Eligible faculty and staff can sign up to make pre-tax contributions and to receive a subsidy to pay for parking at transit park and ride locations. (www.upenn.edu/penncommuter)
• Vanpool development and support: Vanpools are groups of 7-15 commuters who share the costs for a leased van. Vanpools at Penn are supported with free parking and startup funding. Vanpools are operated in partnership with VPSI. Eligible faculty and staff can sign up to make pre-tax contributions and to receive a subsidy to pay for vanpool costs (www.upenn.edu/penncommuter).
• Carpool parking discounts: Eligible carpools can receive parking discounts up to 75% depending the on the size of their carpool group via a pre-tax payroll deduction (www.upenn.edu/penncommuter).
• Occasional parking discounts: Participants in transit, carpool or vanpool programs can receive discounts on occasional daily parking at the Penn Park lot, via a pre-tax payroll deduction (www.upenn.edu/penncommuter).
Penn’s Department of Transportation and Parking strives to provide a variety of convenient, safe and affordable options that best accommodate the diverse commuting needs of our campus community as well as the University’s guests and visitors. As we expand and enhance our commuting options in support of the University’s Climate Action Plan, we will continue to support and improve our parking services for all our patrons recognizing that for some individuals driving is the only option.
Dine at the University Club
For a full buffet lunch priced at $12; a light lunch option of soup, a beverage and choice of salad or sandwich for $8.80; or lunch take-out, of salad or sandwich, with a beverage, for $8.80. The University Club is open Monday through Thurday during the summer months.
For more information on the Club, including membership, visit www.upenn.edu/universityclub
Penn Hotel Rates for FY 13
The Penn Rate as of July 1, 2012 is:
- Hilton Inn at Penn: $233
- Sheraton University City Hotel: $194
Penn Children's Center
Penn Children's Center (PCC) accepts applications year-round for infants, toddlers and children of preschool age. Enrollment for all ages is subject to space availability.
PCC, located in the Left Bank complex at 3160 Chestnut Street, serves children ages 12 weeks through five years.
PCC has been re-accredited with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and has earned the highest quality rating of 4-STARS under the State's Keystone Stars Child Care Quality Initiative.
Assisted rates are available to regular University employees who meet eligibility requirements, subject to space availability and funding. (These rates are not available to UPHS employees.) Part-time slots and sibling discounts are also available. Please contact Penn Children's Center at (215) 898-5268 for additional information or to arrange a tour. You can also visit the Center's website at www.upenn.edu/childcare
Effective Monday, July 2, 2012
Computer Connection Back to School Sale
Penn faculty, staff and students are eligible to take advantage of significant educational discounts on Apple, Dell, Adobe, Lenovo and Microsoft products, plus special offers on a number of other computer products, during Penn Computer Connection's Back-to-School Sale, happening throughout the summer. Details of the sale can be found in the sale brochure mailed to the Penn community in early July. For more information, visit the Computer Connection showroom at 3610 Sansom Street or view the online catalog at www.upenn.edu/computerstore