Guatemala-Penn Partners Pilot Funding: February 15
December 11, 2012,
Volume 59, No. 15
Overview: This mechanism supports research in areas of shared interest between faculty members at various Guatemalan universities and clinical partners (e.g., University Francisco Marroquín, University of San Carlos, Hospitalito Atitlán, etc.) and the University of Pennsylvania; more at: www.upenn.edu/provost/guatemala/
Funds are to support pilot research that will lead to larger health-related extramural research funding proposals with a high probability of success.
Grant Term: Up to 1 year. Unexpended funds must be returned at the end of the funding period.
Budget: Applications for funds of up to $20,000 in total costs will be considered. Funds may be spent at the various Guatemalan partner sites, Penn, or a combination of both.
Eligibility: Research teams must include at least one faculty member at the assistant professor rank or above each from a Guatemalan partner site and Penn. Although not required, preference will be given to proposals that also include a formal collaboration with at least one Penn-NIH Fogarty International Center trainee from Guatemala. Faculty members interested in collaborating but without a formal collaboration with a Penn-NIH FIC trainee or a well-identified Guatemalan partner site may contact Tom Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) with sufficient lead time to identify these collaborators and prepare their application.
- Scientific merit, creativity and innovation
- Public health significance, especially in developing nations
- Prospects for future extramural funding
- Advancement of the partnership between Guatemala and Penn
- Research proposal should be written in English, be no longer than three pages (not including budget), and include: title of the proposal, specific aims, background and significance, research design and methods, whether the study involves human subjects (as defined by Office for Human Research Protections of the US Department of Health and Human Services), and plans for future external funding (including funding agency, funding mechanism and deadline). Please write the proposal so that it can be understood by an educated non-expert in the field.
- In addition to the proposal, please include 1) a four-page NIH biosketch (preferred) or curriculum vitae (CV) for key personnel; and 2) an itemized budget, indicating which expenditures will be in Guatemala and which will be at Penn. No budget justification is required at the initial application stage. No indirect costs will be available, nor salary support for faculty.
- Use 12-point font, single spaced and 1-inch margins.
Please send the application as follows:
- Email by February 15, 2012 as a single PDF including application, budget and biosketches/CVs to Tom Kelly at email@example.com
- The name of the PDF should be the last name of the principal investigator.
- Applications must be received by midnight of the deadline date.
- Questions can be emailed to either Tom Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or Charlie Branas at email@example.com