From the Office of the Provost
January 15, 2013,
Volume 59, No. 17
Search for Vice Provost for Faculty
Provost Vincent Price announced the formation of a consultative committee to advise him on the selection of a new Vice Provost for Faculty. Dr. Lynn Hollen Lees, who has served as Vice Provost for Faculty since January 2010 and has taught at Penn since 1974, will retire from the University at the end of June 2013. During her tenure as Vice Provost for Faculty, she has been instrumental in developing and implementing the Action Plan for Faculty Diversity and Excellence, overseeing the tenure and promotion process, and helping the University identify and implement best practices for faculty development.
As the campus leader with broad oversight of faculty affairs across the University, the Vice Provost for Faculty reports directly to the Provost and is a member of the senior leadership team for academic and strategic planning. S/he oversees faculty life and the academic personnel process at Penn, including recruitment, retention, and retirement; appointments, tenure, and promotions; enhancement of faculty diversity and gender and minority equity; and resolution of individual faculty issues, including grievances. S/he coordinates the Provost’s Staff Conference and works closely with the deans and chairs of Penn’s 12 Schools, as well as the Faculty Senate, Vice President for Human Resources, Ombudsman, Affirmative Action Officer, diversity search advisors, Provost’s Senior Advisor for Diversity, and PASEF (Penn Association of Senior and Emeritus Faculty).
The committee invites nominations of and applications from currently tenured faculty members at Penn. The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the University and its policies and practices, as well as experience addressing sensitive issues in an effective and principled manner. Candidates must be tactful and discreet in handling confidential information and work well with faculty, staff, deans, and department chairs in negotiating difficult situations. Excellent written and oral communication skills, sound judgment, and demonstrated administrative competence are all necessary.
Nominations and applications, including CVs, may be sent by February 15, 2013 to: Vice Provost for Faculty Search, Office of the Provost, 122 College Hall; or by email to Lynne Hunter, Office of the Provost, firstname.lastname@example.org
The members of the consultative committee are:
- Robert Holthausen, Ernst & Young and Nomura Securities Company Professor of Accounting and Finance; Chair, Department of Accounting, the Wharton School (Chair)
- Lisa Bellini, Professor of Medicine; Vice Dean for Faculty and Resident Affairs, Perelman School of Medicine
- Nader Engheta, H. Nedwell Ramsey Professor of Electrical & Systems Engineering, School of Engineering & Applied Science
- Kelly Jordan-Sciutto, Associate Professor and Chair of Pathology, School of Dental Medicine
- Catriona MacLeod, Professor of German, School of Arts & Sciences
- Rogers Smith, Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Political Science, School of Arts & Sciences
- Lynne Hunter, Assistant Provost (Staff)