|Many Thanks to All Those Who Volunteered and Donated
February 19, 2013,
Volume 59, No. 22
Dear Penn Community,
There are no words to adequately describe your generosity during the holiday season. Thank you so very much for all of your contributions to benefit our surrounding community. Many benefitted from your willingness to give. Here are examples of the various efforts:
Thank you to President Gutmann for hosting her Annual Holiday Party where over 500 toys and gifts were donated. These toys along with many others were donated to Councilwoman Blackwell's Annual Holiday Party for the homeless. Councilwoman Blackwell entertains over 3,000 homeless women, men and children. Each guest leaves with a gift. The donations collected from the party are much appreciated by Councilwoman Blackwell.
Thank you to the following departments that brought joy to families
during the holidays by "adopting" them:
- Business Services, coordinated by Tracy Hawkins
- Career Services, coordinated by Jamie Grant
- Center for Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, coordinated by Mary E. Webster
- Central Corporate and Foundation Relations, coordinated by Don Bone
- Central Research, coordinated by Olivia Pridey-Patton
- College Housing and Academic Services, coordinated by Pamela Robinson
- Department of Medicine Transitional Research Center, coordinated by Patricia Mericko
- Development and Alumni Relations, coordinated by Patricia Speakman
- Facilities and Real Estate Services,, coordinated by Carole Mercaldo
- Family of Lauren Robinson, coordinated by Lauren Robinson
- Family of Petra Todd, coordinated by Petra Todd
- Family of Olivia Pridey-Patton, coordinated by Olivia Pridey-Patton
- Graduate School of Education Admissions, coordinated by Emily Schrag
- Housing Services, coordinated by Katrina Terrell
- Office of the General Counsel, coordinated by Helen Logan
- Office of Gift Planning, coordinated by Lorleen A. Maxwell
- Office of Government & Community Affairs, coordinated by Linda Satchell
- Office of the Comptroller, coordinated by Stephanie Mahan
- Office of the Treasurer, coordinated by Margaret Heer
- Office of the Vice President for Finance, coordinated by Karen Hamilton
- Penn Abroad, coordinated by Barbara Gorka
- Perelman Quad, coordinated by Kristine Werez-Patterson
- Research Services, coordinated by Lauren Oshana
- School of Arts & Sciences, coordinated by Juliana Walker
- Student Health, coordinated by Sharon McMullen
- University Communications, coordinated by Laura Cavender
- Weekly-Paid Professional Staff Assembly, coordinated by Linda Satchell
- Wharton School Dean's Office, coordinated by Jennifer O'Keefe
Special thanks to the department of cell and developmental biology and the Penn Cardiovascular Institute coordinated by Carolyn Henry for the donation of gift cards which helped to provide groceries for deserving families during the holidays. Thanks to Helen Logan and the Office of the General Counsel for providing additional gifts to insure that all the families referred to us were adopted.
Thanks to Liz Anzalone from Student Financial Services for providing additional gifts for the Adopt-A-Family Program.
Thank you to Robin Hartley for donating several brand new coats, hats, gloves and sweatshirts to the Annual Coat Drive.
Thank you to Karen Hamilton for providing gift cards to help increase efforts to provide holiday meals to local families.
Special thanks to Human Resources for their Coat Drive, coordinated by Syreeta Gary. Most of their donation benefitted the Outley House Men's Shelter located in Southwest Philadelphia which serves men, women and children.
Special thanks to Business Services for their "Keep Warm Drive" donation of new hats, scarves and gloves, coordinated by Donna Petrelli. They benefitted many local youngsters including those involved in the Penn Workplace Mentoring Program.
Special thanks to Student Health for their yeoman efforts in the Coat and Toy Drive.
Thank you to Peter Zutter and colleagues from Space Planning & Operation Services for their donation of gift cards that were shared with local families involved in the Adopt-A-Family Program.
Thank you to the entire University community for donating over 1,000 gifts and toys.
Thank you to the Dropsite Volunteers that collected all the gifts/toys and made it possible for us to respond to requests for donations from our
neighbors listed below:
- Councilwoman Blackwell's Annual Holiday Party for the Homeless
- The Salvation Army
- Earthkeepers, Inc.
- Mill Creek Community Partnership
- Parents Against Drugs
- People's Emergency Shelter
- Work in conjunction with Penn student Alexandra Bittle to provide items for victims of Hurricane Sandy
- Work with Megan Maxwell to provide items for families at St. Peter the Apostle Parish
- Several families referred by individuals not connected with Adopt-A-Family Program
If you have any excess office supplies, furniture or equipment suitable for donations to local nonprofits in the area, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming March Event:
Change Drive to benefit Alex's Lemonade Stand with a donation of non-secured funds in conjunction with ISC. Further details will be provided in the near future.
—Isabel Mapp, Associate Director, Netter Center for Community Partnerships