|Search for Vice Provost for Research
February 26, 2013,
Volume 59, No. 23
Provost Vincent Price announces the formation of a consultative committee to advise him on the selection of a Vice Provost for Research. Dr. Steven Fluharty, who has served since 2006 as Vice Provost and then Senior Vice Provost for Research, has been appointed Dean of the School of Arts & Sciences, beginning July 1, 2013 (Almanac January 22, 2013).
The Vice Provost for Research reports directly to the Provost and is a member of his senior leadership team for academic and strategic planning. S/he develops and implements policies that promote research excellence across the University and manages key elements of the University’s research infrastructure, including grant administration and research compliance. The Vice Provost serves as a champion for the research enterprise at Penn, aggressively exploring new areas for research and providing leadership to, and coordination of, research collaborations spanning Schools. The Vice Provost is also expected to guide the strategic efforts of the University in advancing research commercialization and to represent Penn to key local, regional and national constituencies.
The committee invites nominations of and applications from currently tenured faculty members at Penn. The ideal candidate will have a strong personal record of funded research, experience in managing a large research operation and a thorough knowledge of research policies and practices at the investigator, national and international levels. Candidates must be tactful and discreet in handling confidential information and work well with faculty, staff, deans and department chairs in negotiating difficult situations. Excellent written and oral communication skills, sound judgment and demonstrated administrative competence are all necessary.
Nominations and applications, including CVs, may be sent by March 22, 2013 to: Vice Provost for Research Search, Office of the Provost, 122 College Hall; or by email to Lynne Hunter, Office of the Provost, email@example.com
The members of the consultative committee are:
- Jennifer Pinto-Martin, Viola MacInnes/Independence Professor and Chair of Biobehavioral Health Sciences, School of Nursing; Executive Director, Center for Public Health Initiatives (Chair)
- Nancy Bonini, Florence R. C. Murray Professor of Biology, School of Arts & Sciences
- Chi Van Dang, John H. Glick, MD Abramson Cancer Center Director’s Professor, Perelman School of Medicine; Director, Abramson Cancer Center
- Larry Gladney, Edmund J. and Louise W. Kahn Professor for Faculty Excellence; Professor and Chair of Physics & Astronomy, School of Arts & Sciences
- Christopher Hunter, Professor and Chair of Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine
- Mark Lemmon, George W. Raiziss Professor and Chair of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Perelman School of Medicine
- Susan Sorenson, Professor, School of Social Policy & Practice
- Karen Winey, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, School of Engineering & Applied Science
- Lynne Hunter, Assistant Provost (Staff)