|2013 Performance and Staff Development Program
March 12, 2013,
Volume 59, No. 24
Open and effective communication is essential when it comes to enhancing performance and achieving goals. The Performance and Staff Development Program (the annual performance appraisal program) provides staff and supervisors with a formal process to open the lines of communication and promote a productive work environment.
The performance appraisal process provides benefits for both the staff member and the supervisor, such as:
- Providing documented feedback on job expectations, performance and accomplishments from the past year
- Offering positive reinforcement as well as developmental feedback
- Allowing staff members to participate in goal-setting
- Setting performance expectations and goals for the upcoming year
- Encouraging open communication between staff and supervisors
- Promoting discussion of professional development opportunities
- Ensuring that job performance and accomplishment information is recorded in each staff member’s official personnel file
Performance appraisals for all eligible regular staff should be completed and entered into the Performance Appraisal Database (PAD) or Online Performance Appraisal System by June 3.
For a list of schools and centers using the Online Performance Appraisal System, visit the Human Resources website at https://www.hr.upenn.edu/myhr/payandperform/appraisal/performance
Here you’ll also find a variety of materials to guide you in the process of establishing and providing feedback on performance and professional development goals. Based on valuable feedback from staff and supervisors, minor changes were made to the performance and self-appraisal forms. Therefore, you should download the most recent versions of the forms from this site.
For more information on the Performance and Staff Development Program, contact your school or center Human Resources professional or the Division of Human Resources at (215) 898-6093.