Dr. Goldberg, Medicine
Dr. Martin Goldberg, former professor of medicine in the School of Medicine, passed away of a neural degenerative disease on June 16, at age 82.
After completing a fellowship in nephrology at Penn, he was appointed to the faculty as an assistant professor of medicine in 1963. He was appointed chief of the renal electrolyte section in the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1966 and a year later was promoted to associate professor. He became a full professor in 1970.
After resigning from Penn in 1979, Dr. Goldberg chaired the University of Cincinnati Medical Center’s department of internal medicine and then served as dean of Temple University’s School of Medicine from 1986 to 1989. He retired in 1996, but remained active as an attending in nephrology.
He received many honors such as the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1992 and the Distinguished Alumnus Award from Temple University’s School of Medicine. Dr. Goldberg earned his bachelor’s degree in chemistry and his medical degree, both from Temple University in 1951 and 1955, respectively.
Dr. Goldberg is survived by his wife, Marion; three daughters, Meryl Gibbons, Karen and Dara; a son, David; and two grandchildren, Michael and Cassandra Gibbons.
Donations may be made to Temple University School of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, c/o the Office of Institutional Advancement, 3500 N. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19140.
Dr. Goodenough, Anthropology
Dr. Ward H. Goodenough, professor emeritus of anthropology, passed away June 9, at age 94.
Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, he lived in England and Germany as a child while his father studied at the University of Oxford. Dr. Goodenough earned his bachelor’s degree in Scandinavian languages and literature from Cornell University in 1940 and his doctoral degree in anthropology from Yale University in 1949. He served in the US Army from 1941 to 1945.
After teaching at the University of Wisconsin, Dr. Goodenough was appointed to the Penn faculty in 1949 as an assistant professor of anthropology. He was promoted to associate professor in 1954 and to full professor in 1962. He remained at Penn until his retirement in 1989, also serving as the department chair (1976-1982), a University professor (1980-1989) and a consulting curator in the Oceania Section of the Penn Museum.
Dr. Goodenough did fieldwork in Oceania, both in Micronesia and Melanesia.
He had been a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and a Guggenheim Fellow.
Dr. Goodenough is survived by his two sons, Oliver Goodenough and Garrick Gallagher; two daughters, Hester Gelber and Deborah Gordon; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Contributions may be made to the American Philosophical Society Development Office, 104 S. Fifth St., Philadelphia, PA 19106.
Dr. Haut, Pennsylvania Hospital
Dr. Michael J. Haut, a retired clinical professor of medicine, died June 26, of bladder cancer; he was 71.
A Philadelphia native, Dr. Haut received his undergraduate degree in 1963 from Franklin and Marshall College and his medical degree in 1967 from Penn’s School of Medicine.
After serving as a US Army physician from 1972 to 1979 at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Dr. Haut joined the staff of Pennsylvania Hospital. In 2000, he was named a clinical professor of medicine. He retired in 2008.
Dr. Haut directed the Pennsylvania Hospital Sickle Cell Disease Program for 18 years and created the Philadelphia Adult Gaucher’s Disease Center in 1991. He also founded the Special Coagulation Laboratory at Pennsylvania Hospital and cofounded the Society for Translational Oncology.
He was honored with the Edward D. Viner Teaching Award and the Annual Teaching Award for a Non-Obstetrician.
Dr. Haut is survived by his wife, Rosalie; sons, Elliott and Jonathan; a daughter, Wendy; grandchildren, Arenal and Fletcher; and a brother, Lewis.
Donations may be made to the Michael J. Haut Lectureship in Translational Medicine at Pennsylvania Hospital, Penn Medicine Development, 3535 Market St., 7th Fl., Ste. 750, Philadelphia, PA 19104, or via www.pennmedicine.org/giving
Dr. Iakovides, Classical Studies and Penn Museum
Dr. Spyros Iakovides, professor emeritus of classical studies and curator emeritus of the Mediterranean section of the Penn Museum, passed away on June 16 in Athens, Greece, at age 90.
Dr. Iakovides was an eminent scholar of Mycenaean Greek civilization, which he investigated in a range of excavations at Pylos, Eleusis and Thera. He also directed excavations at Perati, Gla, and Mycenae. A prolific author, his many volumes include detailed final reports on excavations as well as broad subjects.
Dr. Iakovides was highly esteemed by students and colleagues for his broad learning, his groundbreaking research, his productivity, and his concern for the personal welfare of his associates.
Dr. Iakovides is survived by his wife who lives in Athens, Greece.
Rev. Johnson, Former Chaplain
The Reverend Stanley E. Johnson, of Lafayette Hill, PA, passed away on June 19, at age 84.
He was born in New York City, grew up in Havertown, PA and graduated from Haverford High School in l946. As captain of the Haverford cross-country team, he was undefeated in l946 and led Haverford to 2nd place in the state championship. In track, he won the Suburban championship and the District championship in the mile and the half-mile, and in 2005 was elected to the Haverford High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
In 1950, he graduated with honors from Princeton University where he was captain of the cross-country team for three years and was the only runner ever to win the individual title in the Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet four years in a row. He was selected for the Princeton half-century all-time team. His love of running continued at the Penn Relays, where he was a Judge of the Finish Line for almost 50 years, including the last ten years as Chief Judge.
After graduating from Princeton, he attended the University of Pennsylvania in l951 for graduate work in philosophy and then graduated from the Philadelphia Divinity School with honors in 1954. He served as Curate at St. Martin-in-the Fields, Chestnut Hill, PA from 1954 to 1957. He was the Episcopal Chaplain at Vanderbilt University in Nashville from 1957 to 1961 and was Dean of the Episcopal Convocation of Nashville from 1959 to 1961.
He became Chaplain at the University of Pennsylvania in 1961 and retired in 1995. While at Penn he was also the Dean of Admissions from 1974 to 1977 and served terms as President of the Faculty Club and of the 25-Year Club.
He served on the board and as chairman of the governance committee for the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf from 1963 to 1996 and was Chaplain of the Corinthian Yacht Club from 1965 to 1972. He was the summer Minister of the Siasconset Union Chapel in Nantucket for 42 years, from 1963 to 2004. In addition to his love of running, he enjoyed traveling, stamp collecting, crossword puzzles and needlepoint.
He is survived by his wife, Sally; their children, Laura, Lexanne, Peter and Amy; and grandchildren, Evan and Alison Hunt-Johnson, Lowell and Gordon Abbott, and Kyle and Arden Brady.
Contributions may be made to St. Thomas Church, Whitemarsh in Ft. Washington, PA; the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf in Philadelphia; or the Siasconset Union Chapel, Nantucket, MA.
Dr. Korostoff, Dental Medicine
Dr. Edward Korostoff, professor emeritus of restorative dentistry in the School of Dental Medicine, passed away May 13 of atherosclerotic vascular disease; he was 92.
Born in Philadelphia, Dr. Korostoff received his bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering in 1941 from Penn, and both his master’s and doctoral degrees in metallurgical engineering from Penn, in 1950 and 1961, respectively.
Dr. Korostoff had a career in industrial research and development before his academic appointments at Penn. He had worked for Tennessee Valley Authority in Muscle, the National Defense Research Council, Leeds & Northrup Co. and Remington-Rand UNIVAC.
Dr. Korostoff began lecturing in Penn’s School of Metallurgical Engineering in 1963 and was then appointed assistant professor in metallurgical engineering in 1965. During his academic career, he held triple appointments at Penn, as a full professor in the School of Dental Medicine, the School of Engineering & Applied Science and the Perelman School of Medicine. The link among the three was his research on materials for use in the human body, especially as it pertained to the mechanical and electrical properties of bone.
Also, a former senior research investigator at the Institute for Cooperative Research, Dr. Korostoff was the first engineer to receive a Career Development Award from the National Institute for Dental Research (NIDR) of the NIH. The grant allowed him to conduct research on the nature and structure of various biomaterials which had application in both dentistry and medicine.
In the 1960s, Dr. Korostoff, along with Solomon Pollock, professor emeritus of bioengineering in SEAS, established a research program in biomaterials and began their pioneering work on the effect of electric fields on bone growth.
Dr. Korostoff was a past chairman of the Philadelphia chapter of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers. He was involved in many professional and scientific organizations including the International Association of Dental Research, the American Society for Metals and the Orthopedic Research Society.
He retired in 1987, after publishing more than 50 scientific papers; he also was the author/editor of the 1968 book Research in Dental and Medical Materials.
Dr. Korostoff is survived by his three daughters, Pamela K. Thompson, W’78, Lisa K. Rooney, C’77, GEd’78, GrEd’90, Heather K. Murray, W’83, WG’88; nine grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Donations may be made to the University of Pennsylvania, School of Engineering & Applied Science at www.seas.upenn.edu/giving/
Dr. Miller, Radiology, Medicine
Dr. Wallace T. Miller, Sr., professor emeritus in the department of radiology and the former chief of the department’s chest division, passed away June 23 at age 81.
After graduating summa cum laude in 1952 from Washington and Jefferson College, Dr. Miller received a medical degree from Jefferson Medical School in 1956. Following an internship at Akron City Hospital (1956-1957), he came to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania with a fellowship in radiology and joined the faculty of the School of Medicine as assistant instructor of radiology in 1957. He practiced until his retirement in 2012.
Within the radiology department, Dr. Miller was appointed professor in 1972 and served as vice chairman in the department and chief of the diagnostic section in the radiology department at HUP.
A highly respected teacher, Dr. Miller had many honors including the I.S. Ravdin Master Clinician Award from Penn’s School of Medicine, the Medical Students Government Award Teaching Award and the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. He also was the recipient the Gold Medal Award from the Radiological Society of North America and the Philadelphia Roentgen Ray Society Outstanding Educator Award.
The Wallace T. Miller, Sr. Endowed Chair of Radiologic Education was established in his honor in 2001 as well as the Wallace T. Miller Scholarship Fund in 1996.
Dr. Miller is survived by his wife, Betty; two sons, Peter and Wallace Jr., associate professor of radiology in the Perelman School of Medicine; one daughter, Kimberly Fogarty; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.
Donations may be made to the Wallace T. Miller Sr. Scholarship Fund, http://alumni.med.upenn.edu/annualgiving.php
Mr. Nolen, Internal Audit
Mr. Edward J. Nolen, a retired accountant in internal auditing, died on May 15, at the age of 80.
Mr. Nolen was born in Abington, Pennsylvania, graduated from La Salle College High School and earned a BA in accounting from La Salle University.
In 1958 he joined Penn as head clerk in city planning. In 1964 he became a stock keeper II and in 1966 a junior accountant, both in city planning. In 1972 he became an accountant in internal auditing and took a long-term disability in 1979, retiring in 1998.
He is survived by his sisters, Rosemary Bradley and Carolyn McCarthy.
Dr. Patterson, Veterinary Medicine
Dr. Donald F. Patterson, professor emeritus of medicine and medical genetics in the School of Veterinary Medicine and professor emeritus of human genetics in the School of Medicine, passed away June 8 at age 82.
Dr. Patterson was widely credited with shaping the field of animal genetics. His research particularly included genetics and canine heart disease.
Born to American parents in Venezuela when his father was working for Shell Oil in the early 1930s, Dr. Patterson spent the rest of his formative years in Oklahoma and Texas. He earned both his undergraduate and doctorate degrees from Oklahoma State University in 1950 and 1954, respectively. He also earned a doctor of science degree in comparative medical sciences from Penn in 1967.
After interning at Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston and teaching briefly at his alma mater, Dr. Patterson completed a tour of duty in the Air Force. As a veterinary researcher, he was in charge of obtaining young chimps from West Africa and training them as research subjects. One of these charges, named Ham, was the first chimp to complete a suborbital space flight in 1961.
He then came to the Vet School’s newly created section of cardiology, which is considered the “birthplace” of veterinary cardiology, as an instructor in 1958. He was appointed associate professor of medicine and medical genetics in the department of clinical studies in 1967 and promoted to professor in 1968. Five years later, he was named the first Charlotte Newton Sheppard Professor of Medicine and Medical Genetics. From 1974 to 1999, he held a secondary appointment in the department of genetics at the School of Medicine as professor of human genetics. He became emeritus in 1996.
Dr. Patterson also held many administrative positions. In 1965, he was named co-director of the Comparative Cardiovascular Studies Unit. That same year, he became the first chief of the section of clinical cardiology. In 1971 he became the founder and chief of the first academic subdivision devoted to medical genetics in a school of veterinary medicine. From 1985 to 2000, Dr. Patterson was principal investigator and director of the NIH National Referral Center for Animal Models of Human Genetic Disease (formally designated the Walter Flato Goodman Center for Comparative Medical Genetics in 1994), one of the first such NIH-supported centers at a veterinary school.
After retiring in 2000, Dr. Patterson continued to conduct research, specifically working on a book and computerized database on the genetic diseases of dogs. He became ill before completing the project.
Dr. Patterson was a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Society of Human Genetics and the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
A recipient of numerous awards, Dr. Patterson received the American Veterinary Medical Association Lifetime Excellence in Research Award in 2011. He also was the recipient of the National Institutes of Health Merit Award and the Oklahoma State University Outstanding Alumnus Leadership Legacy Award amongst many others. In 2007, the Donald F. Patterson Conference Room in Penn’s Ryan Veterinary Hospital was dedicated in his honor.
Dr. Patterson is survived by his wife, Nancy; sons, Russ and Wade; and four grandchildren.
Donations may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, http://www.alz.org/; University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School, www.vet.upenn.edu; the American Veterinary Medical Association, www.avma.org; or the Seeing Eye Foundation, www.seeingeye.org.
Dr. Sellers, Medicine
Dr. Alfred Mayer Sellers, emeritus associate professor of medicine, died on May 16, at the age of 89.
Dr. Sellers joined the US Army in 1942 and was a combat medic in the 4th Armored Division in WWII, part of General George S. Patton’s 3rd Army. He served in the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. After he returned from the war in 1946, he earned his bachelor’s degree in medicine and his medical degree from Duke University.
He then completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. In 1952 he was appointed assistant instructor of medicine, in 1955 was appointed an instructor of medicine, in 1961 he became an assistant professor of medicine and in 1966 an associate professor of clinical medicine. Dr. Sellers became emeritus associate professor in 2009.
Dr. Sellers, a cardiologist, was nationally known for his research in the treatment of hypertension. In the 1950s he was a member of the Penn team that developed a surgical procedure called bilateral adrenal-gland removal, that was at the time, a lifesaving procedure for patients with malignant hypertension. He was the author of 66 articles in various medical journals.
He is survived by two sons, David and Joseph; and four grandchildren.
Mr. Yuhasz, Penn Sophomore
Joseph A. Yuhasz, who just completed his sophomore year at Penn, was killed May 23 after being hit by a train in Waynesboro, PA; he was 20.
Born on April 24, 1993, Mr. Yuhasz was a graduate of Waynesboro High School.
At Penn, he was a member of the Delta Upsilon fraternity.
Mr. Yuhasz is survived by his father, Robert Yuhasz; mother, Mary Yuhasz and stepfather, Steven Coogan; sisters, Natalie and Jennifer Yuhasz; grandmother, Theresa Jenesse; step-grandmother, Delores Coogan; and step-siblings, Rachael and Kris Coogan.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Waynesboro High School Concert Choir, 1200 West Main St., Waynesboro, VA 22980.