Models of Excellence 2014
Since 1999, the Models of Excellence Program has honored staff member accomplishments that reflect initiative, leadership, collaboration and a deep commitment to service. In 2007, Penn introduced the Model Supervisor Award for distinguished leadership. This year, the new Pillars of Excellence Award gives special recognition to non-exempt, weekly-paid staff members. Penn simply would not function without their daily commitment and exceptional acts of service, and the University is proud to recognize their efforts with this new honor.
Across the award categories, this year’s honorees represent excellence. Nominated by coworkers and chosen by a rotating selection committee of campus leaders, the winning individuals and teams have made major contributions to Penn’s standing as a world class institution.
Models of Excellence, Pillars of Excellence and Model Supervisor Award winners will receive $500 and a crystal award. Noteworthy staff who have earned Honorable Mentions will receive $250 and a crystal award.
Join the 2014 honorees at the award ceremony and reception on April 3 at 4 p.m. in Irvine Auditorium. All members of the Penn community are invited to the celebration. If you’d like to attend the festivities, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or (215) 898-1012.
Learn more about the winners of this year’s Models of Excellence and Pillars of Excellence Awards below. We will announce the Model Supervisor Award finalists in March and the winner will be revealed live at the award ceremony in April. Visit www.hr.upenn.edu/myhr/appreciation/models for more information about the Models of Excellence program. Congratulations to this year’s winners and nominees!
Models of Excellence Award Winners
Travel and Expense Management Initiative Team: the team will receive an award for successfully implementing a new and improved travel and expense system by improving processes, collaborating with stakeholders and communicating with their customers.
• Audit, Compliance & Privacy: Sean Stickel
• Business Services: Sandra Ardis, Michele Dolce, Hilary Easley, Do Hyun Kim, Barbara Lea-Kruger, Jennifer Miller, Mark Mills
• Finance: Roxanne Bataitis, James Horstmann, David Ishmael, Kristy Owen, Michael Popko, Thomas Slavinski, Paul Weidner
• Information Systems & Computing: Kalyani Balasubramanian, Jeanine Kleba, Teresa Leo
• Office of the Executive Vice President: Janet Plantan
Penn’s Move-in Team: the team has earned an award for creating new and innovative ways using online check-in, social media and campus resources to make the move-in experience more efficient and welcoming for students and their families.
• Business Services: Nathan Cockrum, Dennis Daly, Paul Forchielli, Elizabeth Hartzell, Derek Hunsberger, Thomas MacDonald, Michelle Majeski, Holly Marrone, Sarah McFarlane, Wilma Smith, Kevin Thurwanger, Lenny Zeiger
• Division of Public Safety: Cherie Heller, Gary Williams
• Information Systems & Computing: Renee Jordan
• University Life: Maria Fumai-Dietrich
Models of Excellence Honorable Mentions
Robert Ditto, Jr.: he receives an honorable mention for his leadership and expertise during the selection and implementation of Instructure’s Canvas, a new online course management system for teaching and learning for all of Penn’s schools.
National Resource Centers Outreach Team: the team receives an honorable mention for their creativity and collaborative approach to delivering outstanding programming and increasing services to their constituents during financial cutbacks.
• School of Arts & Sciences: Melissa DiFrancesco, Labaron Palmer, Raili Roy, Anastasia Shown
Programs & Special Events Making History Campaign Team: the team receives an honorable mention for the conception, design and implementation of Penn’s Making History end-of-campaign celebration.
• Development & Alumni Relations: Mirka Cortes, Josh Durando, Susan Eagar, Lauren Graham, Andy Holman, Orna Rosenthal, Cindy Rossi, Scott Sharpe, Maureen Stridick, Emily Valciukas
Ernest Wright: he has earned an honorable mention for his initiative and creativity in developing a series of web videos to help end-users navigate the University’s budget application, Hyperion Planning.
Pillars of Excellence Award Winners
Laura Farrington: she will receive an award for successfully launching the PennReady Blue Book Program and applying extraordinary talent, expertise, cooperation, coordination and drive.
Ruth Kelley: she has earned an award for her inexhaustible energy, cheerfulness and enthusiastic administrative support to the staff in SAS Finance and Administration.
Pillars of Excellence Honorable Mentions
Lucyna Fortuna: she receives an honorable mention for creating an outstanding work environment for Human Resources staff through an extraordinary personal commitment to her custodial duties.
Service Excellence Transition Team: the team is given an honorable mention for extraordinary initiative in creating an outstanding shared system to effectively respond to student residential needs.
• Business Services: Elizabeth Apthorp, Jeremy Estrada, Rebecca Golpe, Michelle Majeski, Sarah McFarlane, Jane Pablos, Maureen Stanton
• Development and Alumni Relations: Stephen McElwee
Deborah Small-McCord: she receives an honorable mention for her leadership, professionalism and exemplary customer service as a senior barista at Penn’s Starbucks restaurant.
—Division of Human Resources