One Step Ahead: Take Control of your Directory Listing
February 28, 2017
, Volume 63, No. 25
Another tip in a series provided by the
Offices of Information Systems & Computing
and Audit, Compliance & Privacy.
Using your ability to edit your own listing as it appears in the University’s Online Directory can make it easier for your Penn colleagues to quickly recognize and reach you, while also protecting your privacy with a global audience.
Your Online Directory presence contains two types of listings:
• Your public profile, or information that can be seen by anyone visiting the Online Directory
• Your Penn profile, or information that can only be seen after a visitor authenticates (by logging in) with an active PennKey username and password
Reviewing and updating your Directory listing permits you to take advantage of many customization options, including:
• Displaying a more familiar version of your name, rather than a formal legal name
• Remaining searchable by a previous surname
• Providing alternate contact information (e.g., mobile phone number)
• Sharing a link to a departmental or personal website
• Minimizing information seen outside the Penn community
Guidelines on minimum information requirements for your respective profiles are detailed at http://www.upenn.edu/oacp/privacy/yourdata/online-directory.html
Your Online Directory account is also where you can enroll in and manage your preferences for the UPennAlert service, which enables the University to quickly notify you of critical information during a major emergency. You can remain enrolled in UPennAlert while opting out of receiving nighttime and weekend alerts, a useful setting for those only on campus during standard business hours.
To customize your information and notification options, visit the Online Directory at https://directory.apps.upenn.edu/directory/jsp/fast2.do, then click the “My Profile” link in the upper right portion of the screen. After agreeing to the Usage Statement, click the tabs directly beneath the Penn Directory logo to manage your Public profile, your Penn profile, and your UPennAlert contact information.
For additional tips, see the One Step Ahead link on the Information Security website: www.upenn.edu/computing/security/