If you are not yet an authorized Assignments user, you'll
first need to request an Assignments account. To request
access, please contact the central computing organization for
your school or center (if applicable), or ISC's
A PennKey is also required to access Assignments.
The Assignments server listens on TCP port 5225 of
assailants.net.isc.upenn.edu and is reachable via IPv4 only.
This information is hard coded into the client software, and you will not
need to modify it, but you may find it helpful when troubleshooting
Before installing the Assignments client, you should read
these release notes which
document some issues you may encounter with the Assignments
To install the Assignments client, follow the instructions
below for your operating system. You should first obtain
Kerberos tickets using your ticket manager before running the
client. On Mac OS X, the Kerberos Login Server will
automatically prompt you to get your tickets if you need
After you've logged in you can use the Help menu to obtain
further information about the Assignments client, including a
list of Frequently Asked Questions. At the bottom of many
windows you'll find a message bar that can also help guide
you in using the program.
In addition to the on-line help within the Assignments
client, the following documentation is available:
- Download the Assignments installer for Windows.
- Run the installer program and follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation.
Download Assignments for macOS (10.5 and later, Intel only) or download Assignments for MacOS X (10.4-10.6, PowerPC version)
Please contact the Assignments engineering team: assignments-tech@isc
Assignments 2.0.0 (1999-12-12)
Assignments 2.0.1 (2000-03-05)
Fixed a rare bug in the window for creating contact
Relaxed the syntax checks that prohibited underscore
characters (_) in order to accommodate the DNS records
used for Active Directory in Microsoft Windows 2000.
Assignments users who intend to manage records for
Active Directory should upgrade from version 2.0.0 to
Added a new program, Active Directory Assistant, to the
Assignments distribution for Microsoft Windows. This
program can be used to simplify the process of creating
Active Directory records for Windows 2000.
Assignments 2.1.0 (2003-05-01)
Added Kerberos authentication.
Assignments 2.2.0 (2004-09-20)
Added support for AAAA and TXT record types.
Assignments 2.2.1 (2004-11-21)
- Fixed a bug which prevented Bulk Record operations from working.
- Fixed IPv6 record handling in Active Directory Assistant.
- Assignments 2.2.2 (2005-01-31) (Windows only release)
- Fixed several bugs in Active Directory Assistant.
- Assignments 2.3 (2005-08-30)
- Support for Budget Code/Account IDs added
- Support for billing users added
- Support for search by billing part added
- Assignments 2.3.1 (2006-01-26)
- Support for "1927" budget
- Assignments 2.3.2 (2016-04-22)
- Note: This release has several significant bugs on Mac.
- Support for Alphanumeric budget codes
- IP Address search sorting
- Enable copying details from search window to clipboard
- Enable saving budget code in search profile