Principle 12 - Data Common base of data.
A common base of data must be created to allow sharing, control redundancy and
satisfy retention requirements.
Sharing data and controlling duplication of data are cost-effective and increase
accuracy. Historical data must be retained to satisfy business requirements.
- Physical storage of data must comply with the requirements of the data
and technical architectures and cannot inhibit access.
- Cost-effectiveness as well as business needs must be evaluated when retaining
- The expectation is that data will not be stored redundantly; however, when
limitations in technology or resources require redundancy, the data must be
retrieved from the database of record.
- Standards need to be developed for data retention.
- Documentation for historical data must be maintained and made available.
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania