Help! The browser doesn't seem to be working right! (non-responsive, times out often, doesn't save ...)
Sometimes it might seem that your browser with BusinessObjects open isn't working "normally" -- perhaps it isn't doing an action like saving, or it might be timing out way too often.
Some browser best practices:
To clear the cache in Internet Explorer 8, do the following:
- Go to the Tools menu
- Select Delete Browsing History
- Choose Temporary Internet Files in the dialog box that opens
- If you would like to read more about IE's browing history and how to manage it, click on the link "About deleting browsing history"
- When you are ready, click the Delete files... button
To clear cache in Firefox 8, do the following:
- From the Firefox main menu, choose History -> Clear Recent History
- Select the Time range to clear from the drop-down menu in the dialog box ("Everything" is best!)
- Check the box to clear Cache. (You may want to check other boxes as well.)
- Click the Clear Now button
Set the Java Runtime Environment (you may need your computer's administrator to do this for you),
- From the Start menu, go to Control Panel
- Double click the Java Control Panel to open it
- On the Java tab, click on View
- Click in the column for Runtime Parameters, and enter the following:: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
- Click OK
- Click Apply
- Click View again to make sure the changes were successfully applied. If you do not see the settings, you may not have sufficient permissions to edit this control panel. Make sure, once you have entered a change, that you click on OK, then click Apply.
- When done, click OK to exit the Control Panel.
The above is the recommended tweak; try that first. If that does not work for you, create a Java environment variable in Windows (you might need your computer's administrator to do this for you).
- Go to the Start menu and click on My Computer
- Right click on the C: drive icon and select Properties
- Click on the Security tab in the Properties dialog box
- Click on the Advanced button at the bottom
- Create a new environment variable named "_JAVA_OPTS" and as a value enter "-Xms128m -Xmx256m"
- Save and restart your computer.
Trouble saving directly as Excel? (See also How to Save a Report as Excel or PDF (PDF).)
- Try holding down the Ctrl key during the entire saving operation
- Select Open first, then once it’s open in Excel save it from there.
- Try both or just use the Ctrl key first
Trouble timing out often? (See also How to Work in Webi with Multiple Reports Open (PDF).)
- It's important to remember that for each open InfoView or Webi window, there is a separate timer "running" that you need to keep track of. Even if you open your Webi docs for editing INSIDE the InfoView portal, there are still 2 different timing sessions running!
- The activity needed to keep a Webi window open and not timed out is either saving the report or running the query. Just formatting the report or noodling around tweaking things will NOT keep your session active and you might easily time out and lose everything!
- The InfoView session is more forgiving and registers tweaking and formatting as enough activity to keep the session alive.
- Sessions are generally set to 60 minutes.