A “filter” applied to a query or report limits data to just what interests you.
- Apply a filter (or many filters) to a query (called Query Filters)
- It will limit the data retrieved from the data warehouse and returned to the Web Intelligence document.
- Apply a filter (or many filters) to a report (called Report Filters)
- It will limit the values displayed on reports, tables, charts, sections within the document.
- It won’t modify the data that is retrieved from the data warehouse.
- It simply hides values at the report tab level. (If your query has several different report tabs, it will only affect the one that is open.)
- Use Query Filters systematically when you create Web Intelligence documents to
- ensure the document data is relevant to your analysis,
- optimize the time it takes to return the data to the reports in documents, and
- minimize the size of documents stored on your system.
- By using Query Filters regularly, you are practicing good data warehouse citizenship!
- Query Filters used to be called “Conditions” in Deski.
- You can only set these filters in the query panel, thus they can only be applied in Webi, not InfoView.
- Use Report Filters to narrow down large amounts of data to make it more understandable for quick analysis.
- Report Filters allow you to focus on one carefully defined subset of the data retrieved.
- They can be applied in InfoView AND Webi.