At Penn, we generally use the Advanced (Java) panel to create or edit queries in Web Intelligence, but this does require the browser to be enabled to run Java, which may be problematic for other reasons. If you're unable to use the Java query panel, there are couple alternatives:
- The Interactive mode of InfoView offers a lot of flexibility for adjusting your report using filters, variables, adding new tabs, etc (see Why should I use the Interactive View mode as a
preference in InfoView? What are the benefits? for details.) If you don't need to make changes to your query itself, you may be able to accomplish everything you need in InfoView.
- If you do need to edit a query and can't run Java, you can set your preferences to use the less advanced query panel:
You can then go to an existing query to edit it (note that you’ll see an “Edit Query” button, rather than just “Edit”), or you can create a new query from the universe list as you normally would. This will take you to a query panel that looks similar in theme to InfoView, has less options than the Java Webi application, but is basically functional.
- Log into InfoView
- Click on the link for Preferences at the top right
- Scroll down to the section for Web Intelligence, and click the arrow to expand that section.
- In the second block of options, under “Select a default creation/editing tool”, change the radio button from “Advanced” to “Interactive”
- Click OK at the bottom right of the screen