Instructor-led Learning Opportunities
These opportunities are less numerous than the self-directed ones and therefore, if scheduling is going to be a problem, check out the self-directed opportunities and work through them first.
There are several categories of face-to-face classes or seiminars:
- Formal training in BusinessObjects' Web Intelligence is recommended for people who plan to write and edit queries. People who use the InfoView website to refresh queries, or who only use the Corporate Documents and do not plan to write a lot of their own queries, may not need to attend Business Objects training.
- On campus classes in Business Objects are scheduled in Knowledge Link. Note that these classes use
generic training data -- not actual Penn-specific data. People
who attend Business Objects training are strongly encouraged to
also attend one of the Penn data seminars or Office Hours sessions presented by Data
Administration to learn more about the data they will be using.
Penn Data Seminars
- For new users, these seminars are intended to give people an idea of the kinds of queries they can refresh and/or write for themselves, once they have learned how to use the query tool.
- FINANCIAL DATA: contact Amy Miller, 8-2171 for dates and information
- STUDENT DATA: contact Susan Collins, 3-6038, for dates and information.
- The first part of each session will usually be devoted to a hands-on, instructor-led activity for the group to create a query that exemplifies some recent user questions. After that, individuals and small groups will have time to work on their own reports, with data analysts available to answer any questions.
- Usually focuses on individual collections; notices sent out via listservs and sign up usually in Knowledge Link
User Group Meetings
- Users of data collections in the Data Warehouse are periodically invited to participate in group meetings to share experiences and questions review data element usage. In addition, smaller special interest groups may be formed to resolve specific collection-related issues. Warehouse users will be invited to meetings via collection-specific listservs.