This table contains bio/demo and other person-level information for individual faculty members, as entered into the Faculty Information System (FIS). There is one row per faculty member.
Displaying the name, primary academic or PIK appointment or other information about individual faculty members.
||Indexed Data Elements
- Name, gender, ethncitiy, and other attributes may be entered into FIS before the individual is entered into the Payroll system. Once the individual has been entered into Payroll, these common data elements will not be updated in FIS.
- The TENURE_STATUS, TENURE_STATUS_DATE and TENURE_PROBATION_DATE fields in the FIS_FACULTY table contain the most current tenure information for the faculty member. For tenure information contemporaneous with a particular action, refer to the similarly named columns in the FIS_ACTION table.
- The FIS_FACULTY tables stores a reference to the action that represents the individual's primary academic appointment, calculated based according to actions processed in FIS. (Note that this varies slightly from the primary academic appointment information stored in EMPLOYEE_GENERAL, which is based solely on jobs processed through Payroll.) Once the individual has a primary academic appointment in FIS, the proposed job class, department and school code values from the related action will be populated into the corresponding JOB_CLASS_TITLE, DEPARMENT_CD and SCHOOL_CD columns in FIS_FACULTY. The logic used to determine FIS primary academic appointments is as follows:
Primary Academic Appointment (PAA): An employee's primary academic appointment within FIS is determined according to the following logic. If:
- Find only "current" (given appointment start/end dates) appointment-related actions. Only the following actions types are considered (if the most recent action is a resignation or termination, the PAA is set to null):
- Change in the Period of Appointment
- Change of Title and Academic Status
- Conversion to Tenure
- Reappointment and Change in Title and Tenure Status
- Terminal Reappointment
- Promotion and Reappointment
- If the employee has an Emeritus Faculty job (Faculty Class is 'EMF'), take
that job. Else,
- If the employee has a Faculty Early Retirement job (Faculty Class is 'FER'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee has a Tenure Track job (Faculty Class in the Job Class table is 'TEN'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee has a Pre-Tenure Track job (Faculty Class is 'PRE'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee has a job as a Clinician Educator (Faculty Class is 'CLE'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee is is on the Research Faculty (Faculty Class is 'RES'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee is a Practice Professor (Faculty Class is 'PRF), take that job. Else,
- If the employee is on the Clinical Faculty, Visiting Faculty, or Wistar Faculty, or is a Visiting Executive Professor (Faculty Class is 'ACN', 'CLN', 'VIS', 'WIS', 'VEP'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee is on the Adjunct Faculty (Faculty Class is 'ADJ'), take that job. Else,
- If the employee is on the Support Faculty (Faculty Class is 'SUP'), take that job with the furthest end date. Else,
- If the employee is a Post-Doc (Faculty Class is 'POS'), take that job.
- If none of the above criteria are met, Primary Academic Appointment fields will
Questions about this page? Email us at email@example.com