This lesson should take about 1 1/2 hours to complete. After completing
this lesson, you should be able to describe the content of table and data
element help and recall the tables that make up the FINQUERY Universe
and identify their physical content.
Lesson 3. Table and Data Element Documentation
Read the document "What the Warehouse Contains."
After reading the document, use your browser's back button to return to
After reading the document, "What theWarehouse Contains," please answer
the following questions:
- Why should you read the Cautions section in the table help documentation?
- What is a data element?
- What is included in the online help for data element documentation?
- The Data Warehouse contains data at the summary level. Identify the
types of summary data that can be available within a data collection.
- What is a data collection?
- What is the purpose of the Related Tables section in the table help
Read through the explanations and common uses sections of the tables that
make up the FINQUERY universe. After reading
the explanations and common uses for the tables that make up this universe,
please answer the following questions.
- Name the table that contains budget, encumbrance, and actual balances
for detail-level Accounting Flexfields by accounting period.
- Which reference code table contains codes that are defined by each
school or center that are used to record information important to the
school or center that is not captured under any other segment of the
- The CNAC_CODES table is a reference table for codes identifying the
school or center and the Net Asset Class. What are the three classifications
of Net Asset Class?
- What are some common uses for using the FUND_CODES table?
- Name the reference table for the codes that identify assets, liabilities,
revenues, or expenses.
- Name the table that is commonly used for retrieving the description
of an organization, identifying organizations external to Penn, reporting
the organization's type or parent, retrieving organizations with a particular
category or purpose, identifying surrogate organizations, and determining
the legacy codes for schools and centers.
- Which table lists organization and program codes as used in BEN Financials
and their counterparts in other systems (such as the Payroll system).
A common use for this table is finding the BEN Financials equivalent
for a school/center or department code used in another system (or vice
- Name the reference table for codes that identify the primary purpose
of the organization or fund.
Activity 2 Answers
- The Cautions section provides additional guidance, help, or explanation
about a table. It can also include recommendations that must be followed
to prevent poor query results.
- A data element is the smallest unit of data that you can work with
which cannot be logically divided any further without losing its meaning
- Help describes the data element and includes its indexed, format,
and not null values. If applicable, it also provides a list of valid
values for the data element.
- Summary data can be made available by week, by month, or by year.
- A term used to refer to the information in the Warehouse from each
transaction system at Penn.
- The Related Tables section helps you to identify other tables that
may be meaningful to your query. That is, tables that are good candidates
for containing information that you may want to include in your results.
Activity 3 Answers
- The BALANCES table.
- The CENTER_REF_CODES table.
- Restricted, Temporarily Restricted, and Permanently Restricted.
- Some common uses for the FUND_CODES table include: retrieving the
description for a fund number, identifying the principal investigators
for grants and contracts funds, determining the purpose of a fund, retrieving
fund sponsor information, retrieving fund restrictions, checking required
financial and other reporting requirements, determining whether the
fund is subject to ORA review, determining revenue restrictions, and
retrieving billing information.
- OBJECT_CODES table.
- ORG_CODES table.
- ORG_OLD_TO_NEW table.
- PURPOSE_CODES table.
Lesson 1. Security, Etiquette, and Ethics
Lesson 2. General Ledger Data Diagrams
Lesson 4. Questions to Ask Before Writing a General
Lesson 5. Evaluating Query Results
Lesson 6. Getting General Ledger Help