Contains information on organizations, which are subdivisions of the University
created for management purposes. Organization data available includes the effective
and expiration dates for the information, short and long descriptions of the organization,
whether the organization is external to the University, the organization type
(school/center, unit, sub-unit, or sub-subunit), the parent organization, the
category (for example, administrative), whether the organization is a surrogate,
the code for schools and centers as used by the legacy accounting system, the
purpose of the organization, notes on unusual organizations, and information on
how the record was created and updated.
Retrieving the description of an organization. Identifying organizations external
to Penn. Reporting the organization's type or parent. Retrieving organizations
with a particular category or purpose. Identifying surrogate organizations. Determining
the legacy codes for schools and centers.
||Indexed Data Elements
- When decoding an ORG_CODE, decide whether you want the 20-character, uppercase
ORG_SHORT_NAME, or the 60-character, mixed case DESCRIPTION.
- A surrogate organization is used to summarize data for Organizations related
to the surrogate. To exclude surrogate organizations from your query, specify
SURROGATE_ORG equal to 'N'.
- The attributes of an ORG_CODE may change over time. However, only the latest
information for an ORG_CODE is kept. This may pose a problem when reading
historical data for an ORG_CODE. For example, if you are querying balances
for an organization for the period JAN-97, and are retrieving the Description
for the organization, if the effective date for the ORG_CODE is later than
Jan. 31, 1997, the value of DESCRIPTION might not be what it was during January
- The ORG_CODES table has columns for the ENABLED flag and EXPIRATION_DATE. Although the terms 'expired' (aka closed) and 'disabled' (aka open) are often used synonomously, there are important differences between them. Enabled (where ENABLED = 'Y'), means the ORG can be used in a General Ledger transaction, and really should only be used to screen on ORGs capable of future Ledger transactions. For any other purpose, the correct test is whether or not the ORG has an expiration date in the past.
- There are a handful of ORGs that are actively used in the Space management system (FacilityCenter) or Payroll but are not allowed to have Ledger transactions, so these legitimately have enabled set to N, but are not expired and can be used outside the Ledger.
- Parent ORGs cannot be used for transactions in the Ledger, and so the enabled flag is irrelevant for these ORGs. When schools and centers reorganize and no longer want to see the old parents in their ORG structure, the now childless parent is moved under the parent DEAD in center 00.
Questions about this page? Email us at email@example.com